6-8 week old kitten stopped eating!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 6-8 week old kitten stopped eating!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jack
    Participant

so i have these two kittens, Teresa and Floki! my wife found them probably only a couple of days old at the time after a bad thurnder storm in our backyard under a bush. deserted wet and no mom. of course she took them in with her loving heart. i wanted nothing to do with them, but i can’t say no to her so i started takin care of them. stay at home dad here(for now) and they were doing great but I’ve noticed floki has had a almost complete lose of appetite, isn’t very active at all anymore, uses the bathroom wherever he’s laying at. I’ve tried fresh cat formula from walmart( mix fresh powder formula each time i feed him) warm each time, clean his bottle the best i can each time. nothing seems to be working. i fear for him cause i know I’m losing him and my wife will be hurt. Teresa is almost double his size and eating kitten milk with dry kitten food mixed together. using the litter box and he started using it before her, so i know somethings definitely wrong with him. please somebody help me while i still have time. thank you all in advance so much!!! we don’t have much money so I’m trying to avoid the vet as much as possible.

Buttons

Loss of appetite and lethargic behaviour is a concern personally if she urinating where she is lying she really has no energy to get to litter tray I would bring her To the vet..

She is probably badly dehydrated so you in to get fluids into her ASAP… Can you dilute her formula down a little or even make a wet cat food water mush and syinge feed her… Just to get some fluids into her.. I’ve been suggesting goats milk a lot for young I’ll kittens over the last couple of weeks … It will help hydrate her add L-lysine to her stomach which will help her immune system fight off any virus that may be present and it’s lactose free so safe for a kitten .. Goats milk yogurt is even better again it’s probiotic qualities really help settle an upset tummy and help to resolve diareah & constipation issues…

She needs a lot I energy and fast and fluids are the most important thing now.. Try giving her a little honey on her tongue … But I would at least ring your local vet for some suggestions.. Some vets are happy to spread out costs so don’t be afraid to ring them

Jack
    Participant

thank you, i will see if i can get my hand on some goat milk. i really fear for the worst now. i woke up this morning and he isn’t moving at all. he can barely meow and roll over. he isn’t walking, standing or even supporting his own head up and he was just doing all of that the other day. any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Buttons

I would bring her straight to the vet at this point especially if she getting worse … Praying for her

jcat
    Participant

Yes, a smear of honey or sugar water stroked around his mouth or the roof of his mouth, no big blobs, nothing he could choke on, but it sounds like his blood sugar has crashed and that can kill him. Then straight to the vet. Buttons gives terrific advice. The Walmart kitten formula isn’t the best brand, (that’s KMR) on the other hand, they do stock canned goats milk in the baking aisle so I would try some of that. I am afraid that the odds for abandoned kittens are not very good, having said that, 60% of them do make it so keep trying. Bless you both and bless the little ones.

yea, this sounds like an infection of some sort. is there any local vet school near you who may let you take your animal to them for free or reduced fee?

Jack
    Participant

I’m sorry i didn’t reply sooner everyone. its sad to say but little floki didn’t make it. i think the day after my second reply we woke up around 9am and he was gone by 10:30. he had gotten so weak he wasn’t even raising his head. it was very sad to watch. i thank all of you for your advice and hopefully in the future if i ever find anymore i’ll definitely be more prepared!! thanks again and god bless you all.

Buttons

Poor little floki 🙁 but that’s why they come into our lives so they can prepare us and other benift from what we’ve learned along the way..

Sometimes with kittens no matter what we try they simply slip away… Fading kitten syndrome is pretty common in very young kittens one minute they seem fine and the next like floki they don’t have the energy to lift their heads..

She knew love and that’s all that matters really..

hi jack…so sorry to hear that 🙁 you did ur best dear.

JerseyJoan

Hi Jack – I’m so sorry about Flokie.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.