5 year old adopted cat TERRIFIED… is it a mental problem?

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 5 year old adopted cat TERRIFIED… is it a mental problem?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Karla O”Hara
    Participant

I recently adopted a 5 year old persian cat… her name is Adele… the previous owner moved apartments and said that he was unable to bring her (ridiculous excuse), so he gave her to our vet (we go to the same vet) the vet told me that she stayed with her for about a week and she would HIDE into tiny corners and would not come out for 2-3 days until she was STARVING… shes super skinny now. The vet works full time and cant really give her the attention she needs, so she offered me Adele, knowing that I own 2 other persians and 3 calicos. Now the vets story was, Adele turned out to be pregnant when she was adopted by her, and when she gave birth she just ended up stepping all over her babies, not caring… none of them survived ( Adeles former owner had 3 other male cats, she was the only female… supposedly she was constantly bullied by the male cats…and her owner worked at home full time, so could it also be seperation anxiety???)… Adele now stays in my spare bedroom, isolated from other pets, and I have given her a bed, a place to climb on and toys… I dont know how to explain it but she is emotionless… ive tried wiggling a toy in front of her and she wouldnt even look at it… her pupils are constantly dilated and EVERY TIME I enter the room, she goes and hides into a corner and then hisses at me. she would never bite or swipe at me… i have touched her before but even that she doesnt show any signs of pleasure even if I pet her in proper places that cats usually love….so i’ve refrained in petting her as she might not like it…. I’ve had her for 2 months and a half now and the only improvement shes had is that she eats regularly now and drinks a good amount of water… but other than that… she still hides, hisses and doesn’t play with anything. She seems very depressed/strssed out… will Adele get any better?
    PS feliway is not available in my country at all 🙁 i live in the philippines

Kittyzee
    Participant

So sorry to hear about Adele’s problems, but so glad you have decided to help her and give her a wonderful loving home. It sounds like Adele is suffering from PTSD. Her life has been traumatic for 5 years, so it’s not going to change soon. With patience and love she can learn that humans are good, and other animals don’t have to mean fear, pain, and terror. Her pregnancy and delivery were a mystery to her I’m sure, she experienced contractions which hurt that produced little kittens which she associated with pain. I’ve seen ferals so frightened during delivery they literally had a kitten, then would run from it.

I would like to think that she could become a loving cat, but I don’t know the answer to this. I hope you continue to touch her gently, speaking in soft tones, even going into the room and reading a book aloud so she can get used to your voice and scent. Treats for her when you do this. When or if you decide to introduce her into the rest of your home, should be done in tiny steps because when an animal acts like prey, then the other cats will perceive her that way too. Which will revert her back into herself again.

How to Introduce a Second Cat

Kittyzee
    Participant

I meant to mention that after a few months if you don’t see results, I would consult a vet about medication for her. I don’t recommend meds lightly, but if it could help her through this transition it might be well worth it– but only under a veterinarian’s supervision.

Karla O”Hara
    Participant

Thank you, I just felt that i needed someones elses point of view on this… I’ve tried handing her treats, but she wouldnt even go near it as she is in fear. Thank you so much on your thoughts, I will not stop trying with Adele, as the vet said she has a very kind heart, past all the anxiety… She lets the vet comb and cut her nails, but I have been afraid to lift her up myself, as she just might get frightened more….I’ll try to give an update on how she does, I’m just happy shes started eating and drinking now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It can be difficult to undo the abuse of a kit’s past. Lots of love and patience is the answer. It can be so hard because all you want to do is hug her and love her. Miss Adele has a loving, furever home with you and that’s where healing begins.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.