5 week old kitten questions

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 5 week old kitten questions

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    sydney
    Participant

Hi I have my 5 week old kitten Sadie and I have a few questions. Right now i’m feeding her wet food mixed with formula 4 times a day and she seems to be doing good on that but i’m wondering if I could start feeding her only 3 times a day (9am,3pm,9pm). Also how much should I be feeding her when I do. Next is i’m wondering when I should start offering her water and how I should give it to her. she freaks out when I put her in her crate at night because she wants to play, what should I do, is it bad to leave her? she likes to attack my hand but is that bad and teaching her bad habits. last thing is she sleeps in a crate at night with a small bed inside but i’m worried she might be getting cold because I have a fan going at night. I have heated up a heating pad but then i’m worried about it being to hot. sorry for it being so long, thanks for any help or tips you guys might have.

Kittyzee
    Participant

You don’t say if she is weaned at 5 weeks–the reason I ask is that some are ready and some are not. If she is not weaned, I would just keep doing what you are doing….if she is weaned, keep feeding her the wet food, pour a little formula over it and feed it to her. She will stop when she is full. You can put water down and show it to her, she will notice it and finally figure it out. You can splash your finger in it, put it on her nose to let her sniff it. Some cats don’t drink much water because they get most of the water they need from their food (wet) and don’t drink much additionally but it should always be provided.

She probably freaks out when you put her in her crate because she just wants to be with you. You could put her nest in bed with you and that way she will be near you, but make sure you have her litter box in the room and show her how to jump off the bed (or place a chair or stool near the bed for her to exit and get back up there) or you might have accidents. Remember she is a baby still, you have to instruct them in the way you want them to be. Patience, kindness and instruction are worth everything so that bad habits don’t start. Kittens naturally chew and bite, just have a toy nearby that you can divert her with so she’s not biting and chewing on hands and feet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Moms don’t wean their kits until 8-10 weeks. For bottle feed babies, I would keep her on the same schedule for another week. Kits get enough water from the wet food. Many kits don’t take to water but put water in cage at all times.

I recommend getting her a soft squishy toy and put it in her nest. Wee kits usually snuggle up to the toy. It will give her comfort and extra warmth in the evening. Rub the toy on you so it gets your scent.

Play with your girl an hour or so before bedtime. Play enough to tire her out and then put her in her nest.

In most cases, it’s not too difficult to teach your kitten or young adult cat that rough play isn’t acceptable. Don’t let your kitten play with your hands or feet (or any other body part). This sends the message that your fingers and toes are prey for pouncing. Use a fishing pole-type toy or throw a toy for them to chase — this keeps them away from your hands and body. Give your kitten something to wrestle with. This is one of the ways kittens play with each other, and a way they try to play with human feet and hands, so it’s important to provide this type of alternative.
    Encourage play with a “wrestling toy” by rubbing it against your kitten’s belly when they want to play roughly—and be sure to get your hand out of the way as soon as they accept the toy.

Good luck and I hope we see your girl as our TDK soon.
    PG

sydney
    Participant

thank you both very much! so when I got her I didnt know if she was weaned or not because she was a barn cat and they did not offer them really anything except some dry food on occasion but I wasn’t sure if the kittens had started eating it already. And yes so her crate is actually right beside me on my bed and i’ve found to help her stop freaking out I can put one of my shirts overtop of the front, she stops freaking out much earlier if I do this. So when do you think I could start feeding her only 3 times a day? Also I have a few more questions, is it necessary to burp her after every feeding? and when I got her she had an eye infection but has been on medication for 5 days now and is doing so so much better but i’m worried about it coming back.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The smell of your shirt and your proximity makes “bedtime” an easier go. I would give her another week before you try to change her feeding schedule. She’ll let you if it’s not enough. As long as she finishes her medications then the infection shouldn’t come back. She’s needs to be spayed, vaccinated and de-wormed so the vet. can check her eye again too. She can be spayed as early as 8 wks but she must be 2 lbs. or heavier.

Kittyzee
    Participant

If your kitten is old enough to be eating on her own, you don’t need to burp her. If she is still taking the bottle, or a bottle/wet food mix–then it’s best to try and burp them to get rid of the air they ingest when they are sucking. It helps keep them comfortable and not have tummy pain from pent up gas.

Keep a close watch on her eye, or better yet, the vet can check it and give a listen to her lungs too to make sure she doesn’t have an upper respiratory infection that requires antibiotics.

Alex
    Participant

Hi, I recently adopted a 5 week old kitten from a bad environment and she was full of fleas. I gave her 3 flea baths in a week time as they were crawling and I knew I couldnt use any fleas treatment yet. She is very brave and smart and got used quick with her new house and with us. First few days we fed her with the bottle kitten formula and some kitten milky treats. Today she ate for the first time wet food and the other day she helped herself to some water. She also drink milk from her cup now. However, I am desperate with the fleas! Don’t know what to do anymore. I hoover and mop with the mop steamer, washed all pillow cases and her beding, throws and carpets.. she is still itchy and everytime I use the flea comb I still find few fleas.. I bought the Johnsons house flea spray and I intend to use it today (not sure what’s the best method), I ordered a flea trap too ..Just dont know what else to do..it seems mission impossible and I have moments when I thinm to get rid of the kitten ..please help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.