5 hungry mouths to feed!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 5 hungry mouths to feed!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    eddilove
    Participant

I have a female cat who recentl gave birth to a litter of 5 kittens. They are now 2 weeks old and she refuses to feed them! I have taken the responsibility of doing this, but finding it very difficult. The feeding is kind of easy, getting them to wee is easy, but how do I stop them from crying?! Anyone got any good advice? Thanks.

2bpurring
    Participant

Welcome to TDK Eddilove…I don’t have any good advice, but if you stay around we have some members here that will be able to give you all the advise you need!! Bless you for caring for these babies!!

MadcatwomanintheUK
    Participant

Hi Eddielove, welcome to TDK Chat! Is that Wakefield, Yorks, UK or is there a Wakefield in the States?

You could try giving them a couple of soft toys – beenie babies are ideal – to snuggle up with, might help with the crying.

Don’t s’pose there’s a chance of some pictures? Kitten pix are always popular here! :o)

AZDEBRA 5/27 & crew
    Participant
    petpntr
    Participant

They shouldn’t be crying. Are you stimulating them to defecate? Are you sure you are feeding them enough and what is it you are giving them? How often are you feeding them? More details please.

CheetahBoysmommy
    Participant

It might be worth while taking Mama Kitty in to the vet and see if there’s a reason she isn’t feeding her kittens. She might just not want to be a mother, but there could be a fixable reason as well. She may have an infection or a blocked nipple. If she’s at all interested in the babies, finding out why she won’t nurse them could make your life (and theirs) much easier.

I agree with CBM—it is possible the mother is ill. Get her to the vet ASAP, and take the kittens with you also.

tuttibella
    Participant

Tending to 5 newborn is definitely a monumental task! Grab the links and read through the helpful website posted by AZDEBRA, they helped me a great deal when I was bottle feeding my orphan. Mom is not in good health I’d assume and a trip to the vet is best. Remember to keep the babies warm at all times if mom refuse to stay close to them. One is already quite a handful, but 5, that is really something else. Good Luck!

jcat
    Participant

Bumpity bump…

eddilove
    Participant

Unfortunatly the kittens have had to be taken away. I rung the blue cross, and a really nice woman came to pick them up. The job was too big for me, as I work a lot and attend college, and also have a 2 year old daughter! I read through all sorts of sites trying to get as much info as I could. I bought special milk, lactol, and a kittens feeding bottle, I urinated and deficated them before and after each feed, they were sleeping in a box with a hot waterbottle and a cuddly teddy, they were in a quiet dark place when they were resting, and I tried to comfort them as muchas I could. I really didnt want to let them go, but it was for the best. Thanks to everyone for your advice and comments, I will keep visiting and keep you updated as I can call about the kittens any time. If anyone is interested in adopting 1, visit the blue cross website! Eddilove

anncetera2
    Participant

Did the mama get taken away, too? Was there something wrong with her? (I just worry that she may have become ill, and that’s why she was no longer wanting to nurse.)

eddilove
    Participant

The mother cat, Pink is fine now! 5 must have just been too much for her. She is booked in at the vets next week to get neutered, save it from happening again. Better for everyone all round.

MadcatwomanintheUK
    Participant

Sounds like the best outcome for all concerned. Please do keep posting here Eddie, you don’t have to have your own cat to join in the madness!

Blue Cross? The UK charity? So you are another UK TDKer then? Hurrah!!! :o)

tuttibella
    Participant

Glad to know that the kittens are in good hands now. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.