5 day old tabby. Constipated? sticky poop? or just not ready?

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Purrs 5 day old tabby. Constipated? sticky poop? or just not ready?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

A short back story:
    This kitten was found 10/12/15 in a ditch tied up in a plastic bag in the sticks of Tennessee. Fresh chord and all. I was contacted so I brought him home that night.
    8:15pm of 10/12/15 he has a chunky yellow poop.

He is on DUMOR goats powdered goats milk. This is what I have used raising puppies, and three litters of kittens. The problem is, I haven’t had any babies this age in 2 years. I am out of the swing and every person I know who hand rears kittens pulls their hair out over POOP!
    Including myself.

-He pooped the first day. He is eating 2ml each meal. Weight unknown.
    -Second day I got two rat sized poops. Not very large. firm but colored in the center. 2ml still. Vet says he weights 2.1
    -Third day 2ml every two hours. urine has turned an acceptable color. No poop.
    -Fourth day 3ml every two hours. Urination is good, meowing well, will hold head and purrs when full. Rubbed bottom to go poop, no stool came out but anus looked as if it was “peaking” Got some stool rub off all over cotton ball, unsure if was just rubbing surface poop or actual defecation.
    -fifth day 3ml- 3 1/2 ml every two hours anus seems to protrude from slightest touch. Triangle method was used under warm faucet water. Tooshie was ‘out’ but since being under water, no stool was observed. weighs 2.95 underweight but growing. Butt bones by anus are still visible and tummy is starting to become more roung.

Called the ER and used a mini thermometer and lube to get things moving. Got a light brown and pasty poo on it.

Is this constipation? Am I using too much water in the formula? I am adding 3 cups boiled water to 1 1/2 cup dumor kids powder. It calls for 6 parts water 2 cups powder.

Perhaps I am not patient but would love some advice.
    Do not want to hear negative comments on the % of his survival. Thankyou! 🙂

Kittyzee
    Participant

No one here is going to make negative comments on anything Heather, as this is the fluffiest place on the internet! Welcome to TDK! I had a response typed out on my laptop, when the whole thing disappeared. 🙁
    I don’t have any experience using the powdered goat’s milk, so can’t comment on the water/powder ratio. I have used the canned condensed goat’s milk and that ratio to water is 1 to 1. It is awesome and doesn’t cause constipation or diarrhea in hand reared kittens that I have used it on. It sounds like the protrusion in my experience, is that the kitten has poop. It is probably hard at that spot, and have done what you have using the thermometer to get things stimulated. Yes, keep trying as it takes patience, patience and more patience sometimes with some kittens! Try putting a few drops of olive oil in the milk to lubricate inside. I think once you get the kitten started going, you will keep having success.
    I am going to post some links for you that are full of info. I know you have hand reared before, as have I, but I have found having these links to refer to gives me confidence that I’m doing the right thing. I will also post a link on the triangle method, it’s actually a video and you might find it helpful also.
    http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm

Helping a kitten to eliminate

Please come back and let us know how your kitten is doing!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Heather,

Thanks for rescuing the wee tyke. We are here to help. We’re not vets. but there’s bunches of experience with TDKers. KZ is an experienced foster meowmy and gave you good advise. Purrhaps, you should ask the vet. if the mix you’re using is sufficient. I know about pre-mixed Goats’ milk but not DuMor replacer.

Do keep us informed how both of you are doing.

PG

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

He has started to “peak” when ran under water and used the traingle method but it seem seems to not want to come out.
    I am concerned about the thermometer and lube pushing things back too far. Is that a real concern? It seems as if it’d stop him up more. I have had him since day one…he is 6 days noe and I’ve only gotten one good poop from him. He is hydrated well. Should I made the formula more condensed as I’ve heard too much water can make their poop sticky.

I am very familiar with the triangle method! I found it on this website two years ago when I had my first newborns of this same age. I got lots of support and it helped me raise four 2 day old kittens.

I used olive oil last night for 3 tbps I put 6 drops. Or what would you recommend. I make more formula than he needs so I want to be sure I’m not using too much.

How do I fix a sticky poop? Vets are closed on sundays and the ER wont help unless I bring him in. No info can be givin to me apparently.

Thankyou!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Heather, I agree with the thermometer and lube pushing things back too far, but I only inserted the very end of the thermometer, not pushing it in at all. The idea of that is the sensation of pooping, and getting things going–to trigger the body’s normal reflex to start things moving. I don’t know if an enema would be a viable alternative. I have not given one myself, but took a kitten into the vet and the vet gave her the enema. I would search that quite a bit personally, as I would not want to harm the kitten. I hesitate to give advice about things I haven’t tried personally. I am not a vet, but like PG said, I do have personal experience in hand rearing many kittens. Seems constipation is a given on powdered KMR, and maybe powdered formulas in general. Have had diarrhea issues with the liquid version of KMR. When given the advice on HERE of using goat’s milk, it has proven itself time and time again to be the perfect solution to hand rearing kittens without the problems of constipation! (Bless you Buttons!!!)
    Since your kitten is now 6 days old, something has got to start moving and soon. Even if you call the vet about advice, it might ease your worries a bit.

Kittyzee
    Participant

http://www.felineconstipation.org/acutetreatment.html
    I also wanted to give you this link, in case you think you may need it.
    I didn’t address your question about ‘sticky poop’. I don’t really know what that means, but any poop at this point would be good. It can’t always be perfect, but normal poop in a hand reared kitten is usually light yellow (mustard colored) with toothpaste consistency. It usually turns a little darker once it has been exposed to air. I don’t think you need panic, you have had him 6 days and he has had one good poop. Just keep working at it, you will finally see success.
    And also this link we TDKers use often —

Chaos’ Guide to Constipation

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

I agree. something has got to give. I am not getting enough poop to satisfy me at this point. I want one good solid poop a day. Which is what I am use to.
    He seems to struggle with putting on weight so honestly I feel like I am fighting for his life right now. He was ties up in a plastic bag with a fresh chord attached…eats well and everything and is hydrated but not gaining and not pooping well. some, but not satisfactory. I would never do an enema myself personally. Vet is closed today.

so really I guess there is nothing I can do but guess at this point…lol

Kittyzee
    Participant

Heather, raising kittens is so much guess work anyway, but I think you are doing a fine job. I don’t worry about weighing, I never did. I fed the kitten, cleaned it, kept it warm, loved it. Weighing is just another thing for me to worry about that I can’t change anyway. I don’t think it sounds like he is sick, and he’s not lethargic. If he should get sluggish and lethargic, and not want to eat, rub some honey or karo syrup on his gums to perk him up so that you can get food in him. But he doesn’t sound like that to me.

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

I just went to feed him and he had pooped himself a little. I guess some is better than none?
    Kittens are the worst and the best! I think we all need a anxiety script over newborn babies!

They are normal in color from what little I am getting out.

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

What is a minimum weight a kitten at 5 weeks could get by with without it being a warning sigh? Hes gaining, just not much.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Do you mean a 5 WEEK old kitten, or a 5 DAY old kitten? I really don’t know how much one should weigh, but they usually weigh about 3 1/2 ounces at birth (approximately that is) and may gain 1/4 to 1/2 an ounce a day. But if you have the last kitten in the litter, the runt, they are slower to gain and much smaller than the other kittens.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s a chart with the minimum weight for each stage:

At age 1 week weight should be approx. 4 ounces/170 g.
    At age 2 weeks, weight should be approx. 7 ounces/198 g.
    At age 3 weeks, weight should be approx. 10 ounces/283 g.
    At age 4 weeks weight should be approx. 13 ounces/368 g.
    At age 5 weeks, weight should be approximately 1 pound/453 g.
    By the end of the 8th week, kittens should weigh approximately 2 pounds/907 g.

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

5 days. SO sorry!!! lol My brain is friend from being up the past week. Ive slept maybe 3 hours in a row by accident. Felt so good….. (lol)

This baby was 3 days old on the 15th…so born the 12th? yes. He is 2.75 … very small….. I looked up premie information and it explains all his difficulties.

SO the scariest thing happened…and hes fine now…and eating but goodness…I’ve never had such a thing happen…. I went to get him food…I took 30 minutes tops to grab me a bite too…I came fownstairs and he was foaming at the mouth and twitching…first thought was OVERHEATED so I put him under cold water and rubbed his bottom and groomed him like mom…. he came back to life and is not resting on my belly with a space heater about 6 ft from us…eating back to normal and crawling more than before….

Ive never had anything like that happen …even it was over heating the heating pad has always been loyal…

advice for preemies or what might have causes the foaming , tongue sticking out and twitching?

Kittyzee
    Participant

I don’t know for sure obviously, but probably the low blood sugar thing. Tiny kittens like this live from feeding to feeding. This is my explanation anyway– 😉 and their blood sugar drops. That’s why I mentioned keeping honey or karo syrup on hand to rub on his gums to bring the sugar level up and fast. Then feed him once he perks up. Did you feel the heating pad and was it too hot? He should have been able to crawl off of it to get to a cooler spot I would think. Make sure you wrap a heating pad in a towel or some other cloth to not have direct contact with the pad itself. Make sure you check out the links I posted (if you haven’t) because they are loaded with information with people who have hand reared kittens. Keep on with the good work. I know you are exhausted, this kitten raising is not for the weak! Please keep us posted too!

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

We are doing every hour for the next two days instead of two. He seems to be thriving on this and human contact instead of the heating pad

I always keep two fleece blankets cut into 1 x1 squares to cover the pad so just enough heat transfers. I have NO idea it was the first thing I checked after I stabilized him. Instinct told me to run cold water and stimulate his body, it worked…keeping him faced downward to prevent on choking on his spit and foam…. ive never seen such a thing in my life.

I think he is a premie at 5-6 days old at 2.70 he was 2.1 on the 14th.
    WIll organic honey be ok to give if I’m not sure if it was low blood sugar? Unsure of how it afects kittys. I didnt see any links in particular. I am not very tech savy…sorry…

Eating 1-2ml every hour now instead of 3 every two.

SO it wasnt too hot but cold water and then slow rising temp again brought him back as well as the technique to help an aspirating kitten.

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

Also I always keep an area for them to move off the heating pad. 🙂
    Ive never heard of such a crazy thing happening before..and google only says it is “hissing” which isnt true….

Anonymous
    Inactive

You don’t know for certain if it was the heat but it’s good make sure he can move away. Organic honey is just fine. It doesn’t hurt to give it to him so you do that in the event something happens. He is underweight but given his circumstances that’s to be expected. As long as he continues to eat well, he’ll catch up. As KZ, you are doing great. I’m re-posting the links

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm

Helping a kitten to eliminate

Chaos’ Guide to Constipation

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

Thankyou! I will check those all out. Are there any free coupons for expresso? I’m pulling an all nighter.
    Yes I wrap it and make 1/3 of it so he can get off heat. He moves around well to where he wants to be. 🙂

That makes me feel better. I had my last cat from the same age and Zero was much much bigger. He is pooping but not a lot. I dont think he honestly has much in him. He’s had two good poops since born and two mini formed stooled and since then it all rubs off on the cotton/cloth/cosmetic sponge I use to wipe his bottom.
    I like the cosmetic sponge method. Never thought to try it but I have lots of extras. They seem to stimulate him better.

Thankyou guyds! still wish I knew why he was FOAMING at the mouth….acts better than before now thoug…so strange.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Chalk it up to one of life’s unexplained mysteries! I know, I analyze everything too and want answers! The feeding more often is probably just what he needs as he is a preemie. Awww sweet little thing. I think you are right about the poop, as he just doesn’t have a lot in him right now. His body is using up the nutrition, and when he needs to go, he will finally have a formed poop.

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

I got a huge poop out of him at 4am this morning….mustard , formed but soft.. SO MUCH! I could tell hes had to really go poopoo the past 10 hours beore he went potty. And Alas….triangle method and warm water prevails as always!!!! Also if you’ve never used a cosmetic sponge to wipe a butt I highly recommend it…got him started and its how we got to the finish line!

VEt said its either a seizure or low blood sugar so basically he is on round clock care….doing so much better…
    so amazing how quickly they turn for the good or bad.

Also excuse any grammatical errors my brain is friend I’ve stayed up all night… lol!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.