5 day old really bloated

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 5 day old really bloated

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lorna
    Participant

Hi, so I’m sort of new to the whole hand rearing area. I’ve done puppies before, but this is my first kitten. He’s 5 days old, has a really good appetite, he’d honestly try take 20mls in one feed, but I usually try to limit it to maybe 7-8mls. I feed him every three hours, and all his bodily functions are working. (he poos around once a day, sometimes twice and pees before and after every feeding) The only thing I’ve noticed is that he is very bloated right now. His tummy is very clearly bigger than the rest of his body, it’s not exactly rock hard but its not soft and squidgy, it’s just very expanded i guess. He’s been like this for the last few hours. I’m beginning to get worried about it, however I’m not too sure whether it’s just gas. Are there any ways to relieve this or help him or is it something that’ll just go away after a while? I’ve tried letting him move around and rubbing his back to see if it gets rid of any gas, but nothings really helping.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Lorna,

Welcome to TDKland. We are the furriest feline blog around. Thank you for rescuing this wee kit.

He could have gas and you can burp him. All kittens have worms and will he can get a dewormer at his first vet. Or he’s eaten a lot and tummy needs to rest. His tummy should go down and he will be hungry again. By the way, he will eat as much as he needs and then stop. Unless you’re force feeding he’s just fine. If his tummy doesn’t go down or it feels different you should call a vet.

Here’s some guidelines that TDKers swear by:
    TDKers use Goats’ milk because it’s cheaper and provides probiotics and nutrients they needs to grow strong. With the Goats’ milk they shouldn’t have constipation/diarrhea/gas problems that KMR often causes. It’s found in the refrigerated milk section of the grocery or in the baking aisle in cans. The canned is condensed so add water 1 to 1. When they’re about 6 weeks you can mix wet food and Goats’ milk together making a gruel.

Make sure in his nest he has a heating pad on low or hot water bottle. Make sure he has room to get off it if he get too hot. mKittens are extra fussy when they’re cold or hungry. You can put a soft squishy toy in with him for comfort.

Here’s links with lots of info:
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm
    http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

You are doing a great job. Keep in touch

PG

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.