4 weeks and having pooping troubles. . . HELP!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4 weeks and having pooping troubles. . . HELP!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jessica Semple
    Participant

My boyfriend found a 4 week old calico kitten in the barn at the farm he works at. She’s playful, eats well, ppees well and all that but her only issue is pooping.
    She can grt the poop too where its right there at the end to come out but then she just can’t push it out.
    I stimulate her with warm water and help her but it seems she is constipated and cannot seem top push u t out because it’s to big in diameter.
    I had taken her to the vet and they gsve me a laxative to try, and I am. So I hope that works. They said to put her on wet food completely and water out right down with water and then just have water down for het ay sll times.
    Will she poop better when she’s older?
    Doors anyone have and suggestions. . I don’t want to lose her due to constipation. I’m very attached to get and want her to grow big and strong.

Jessica Semple
    Participant

Her bum is slso sore 🙁

hi jessica! ok. first off, you might need to change her diet.

read this

http://www.felineconstipation.org/acutetreatment.html

Jessica Semple
    Participant

I changed her diet to the watered down wet food that the vet told me to do and added water.. is this not going to HELP? I’m trying my hardest and don’t want to lose her over constipation.

how long ago did u do this? you might need to give it more time, or you might need to switch to another brand. not every brand is the same, and their stomachs can react differently to different brands.

Jessica Semple
    Participant

We stsrted her on the food Wednesday night. She loves this kind, straight from the vet as well. We took her off the formula. Plus they gsvr me a laxative called restora lax to give her. She has poop right at the end and it’s almost as if she’s sore and can’t get it out or two big in diameter. I plan to try Vaseline to help her
    I’m lost and just hope I’m doing things right.

Kittyzee
    Participant

I had the same problems with a kitten I am hand rearing also. I know the vet said to stop bottle feeding, but how else is the kitten to get the moisture it needs in it’s intestinal tract that helps with elimination? Cats and kittens don’t instinctively drink water. I backed off the wet food and made sure he had his milk first. I mushed up wet food and added it to the milk, cut the end off the nipple and he ate it that way. In hand rearing kittens, it seems to either be diarrhea or constipation. I am trying to prevent the constipation instead of treating it. He is doing better now, peeing and pooping on his own. Sometimes he has to go and he’s too far away from the litter box, but he’s like a little kid who doesn’t want to stop playing to go! And Buttons and JCat give the best advice, even to this seasoned kitten raiser: GOATS MILK ROCKS!! I found it in the baking aisle at WalMart, and quit using KMR completely. Thank you guys for the best advice I’ve ever had on kitten rearing!

Melissa
    Participant

En we first got Alice we mixed her wet food with goats milk since I didn’t have any of her old food to gradually switch her to the blue buffalo. She never had an upset stomach or any issues. I really think that the goats milk helped a lot with the transition. Now Alice is 9 weeks old and doesn’t get any goats milk but she eats all of her food and her big sisters low calorie food too. I think that extra moisture helped prevent constipation. The goats milk is a miracle worker. The people on this site are awesome and always full of advice. Good luck to u

jcat
    Participant

Jessica, I’m sure you’re doing things right. You have good advice from the vet and I hope by now it has helped your kitten. If it hasn’t, please get back to us as maybe there are some other things you could try. Buttons put together a thread on constipation that might help:

Chaos’ Guide to Constipation

It is the most common problem with kittens we are asked about and especially seems to occur with powdered KMR, so don’t worry, you are not alone, as you’ll see if you hit the pink tag ‘constipation’.

Thanks, everyone else, for the kind words 🙂 Kittens seem to be very like people in that they’re all different, nothing works for every one, you just have to keep trying things until you find something that works for your kitty.

jcat
    Participant

Adding tag for triangle method video on helping kittens to poop:

Jessica Semple
    Participant

Hey,
    Jezebel passed away on Saturday. We had to have her put down. She had a lot more wrong then we realized and the pooping issue was more. She was sneezing and had some kind of a cold of pneumonia. We tries and gave her a good last week. I’m very heartbroken, as is my boyfriend so we had got pictures of her taken and are making an albumn as tribute to her? she’ll be dearly missed but thank you all for all your help.

JerseyJoan

Hi Jessica – I’m so sorry about Jezebel. You did everything you could and because of you and your boyfriend, she knew love in her short life. It’s good that you are making a tribute album for her.
    Would you consider sending pictures of Jezebel to The Daily Kitten so she can be featured and memorialized? I’d love to see a pic of her.

Jeankit
    Participant

RIP sweet Jezebel. Sometimes the wee kits go home to heaven before we’d like. She is now part of the purry kitten pack in the Meadow by the Rainbow Bridge!

huggg soo sorry to hear this :(….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.