4 week orphan baby not eating :(

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Purrs 4 week orphan baby not eating :(

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chanel B
    Participant

Hi!

Yesterday I recused a kitten from a shed, where there was another dead kitten right beside her.

I took her to the vet straight away, where they told me that she was a 4 week old female. They gave me milk formula & soft solid food to give her through a syringe, as she kept refusing the bottle of milk.

However she never seems to be hungry or want to eat. She is constantly sleeping and I have to wake her up in order to try and feed her some food and milk. (which I heat appropriately & always make sure she is warm before I feed her)

I put a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket under her and she slept the entire night. She is vocal at times but not a lot & likes to snuggle, but she is not playful at all and she falls down to her side at times when she tries to walk.

Also, I gave her some water from the syringe today and she didn’t seem to mind it at all, in fact she had a great big pee straight after & it was bright yellow. But she has not pooped yet & I’ve done all the necessary means to stimulate her 🙁 She also does not have a fat belly like usual kittens do.

Do you think that I should just go to the vet? We have a 24hour one available.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Chanel,

Thank you and your staff for rescuing the kit. Without you, this wee girl had no chance.

Here’s all the information we give 1st time meowmies!

Kittens and their needs are not much different from a baby.

If you haven’t already, make a nest for her. She cannot regulate body temperature so he must be kept warm. I think the best way is to place a heating pad, on LOW, covered by a towel and a soft blanket. An unwashed shirt-your smell will also comfort her. Be sure to provide a “cool” spot for her to crawl if she gets too warm. She used to have her sib around so I recommend getting her a soft squishy toy and put it in her nest. Wee kits usually snuggle up to the toy. It will give her comfort and extra warmth.

Kits cannot digest food if they are cold. Here in TDKland, we recommend Goats’ milk for kittens. Cats are lactose intolerant and can’t digest cows milk. Goats’ milk is full of nutrients, probiotics and gentler on their tummies. This can also regulate the poop. You can find it in the dairy section or the concentrate in the baking aisle. Mix the concentrate 1:1 with water or pedylite. If, at any time, they seem lethargic put a dab of Karo syrup or honey in their mouth.

She needs to poop but he doesn’t know how to do it on his own. KMR concentrate often gives kits constipation and the KMR liquid does the opposite.

A smidgen of mineral oil in their formula can usually help them poop. You can put a dab of Neosporin on her bum if he gets sore.

Here are some links with good information on raising your wee kit:

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Good Luck
    PG

katzenjammer
    Participant

Excellent advice from PG.

If it were me I’d take the kit to the 24 hr vet though. Just for further advice a check-up and to make sure that you are doing the right thing and are comfortable doing it.

Lots of TDKers have vast experience with wee kits, but it’s different when a vet actually sees the kit and can do an exam. Hope this helps.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.