4 week old kitten won't eliminate

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4 week old kitten won't eliminate

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    Participant

Hi there, so I just got a 4 week old kitten and I know she should be starting to be getting ready to go potty onbher own, but I haven’t seen any sign of that, so I’m beenbtryong to “eliminate” her after every time I feed her. I’ve had her for about a day and a half now, and only managed to successfully “eliminate” her once yesterday morning. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be worried? Should I take her into the vet???

On a side note, other than that she seems to be fine; I’m still bottle feeding her and will transition her to soft wet food soon, and she basically sleeps when she’s not eating… She explore a little bit, but only for a little while before going back to sleep…

Kittyzee
    Participant

Sounds like she’s right on schedule with her growth and activities. You can add a FEW drops of olive oil to her bottle (3 drops or so to a whole bottle) and if she has hard stool, it may help to soften it a bit). You aren’t doing anything wrong, it’s just that hand reared kittens tend to get constipated or diarrhea because they aren’t eating mother’s milk. You can switch her over to goat’s milk (which is what I did with my last kitten) and you won’t have these problems. It’s in the refrigerated milk section of the grocery or in the baking aisle in cans. The canned is condensed so add water 1 to 1 and store in the refrigerator. I’ll post some links for kitten rearing and for help to go potty. She will need to see the vet eventually, for a general checkup and for deworming and shots. I would say anytime now, you can try the wet food/milk gruel mix and see if she likes it. Let her sniff it on your finger and place a small amount on the roof of her mouth to see if she likes the taste. Let her follow your finger back to the plate and see if she will lap it up. It will seem strange to her to have something of substance in her mouth, make sure she doesn’t choke. Keep us posted!
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm
    http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Helping a kitten to eliminate

Tiffany
    Participant

Thank you so much! That makes me feel so much better… Although I do have to mention, which I forgot to in my original post, but should I be concerned that she didn’t dedicate with yesterday’s successful “elimination” (so she just urinated)?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Probably not. Sometimes they don’t go everyday. After you feed her, wait a few minutes and try the triangle method, or a damp nubby washcloth gently on her butt. You can also try her in the litterbox (very low she can easily get in and out of) and put plain clay, unscented and NONCLUMPING litter in there and if you get a poop from her put it in the litterbox. You can pee her over the box too and when you place her in there she will smell it. Take her paw and gently scratch the litter with it. It’s amazing how fast cats catch on!

Tiffany
    Participant

Great news! Ibgot her tobpotty again today, so I’m not worried about that anymore! No poo yet, but I hold out hope! If she doesn’t dobit soon, ill try adding vegetable oil (only a couple drops as you suggested) tobher formula and take it from there!! Thank you so much for your help!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Try putting her butt under a stream of warm water. That may give her extra encouragement.

Tiffany
    Participant

Will do! And I’ll let you know how it goes 🙂 thanks for the advice and all the help! I was really worried, but I’m not anymore! I honestly can’t say thank you enough!

Tiffany
    Participant

Off topic question: how much formula is she suppose to be eating daily? I made her a 60 ml. (4 tbsp) bottle, and she seems to only be having about 15 ml. (1 tbsp) a day… I mean she seems to be content with it, but I’ve just read a bunch of different t things as far as how much she’s suppose to be eating is concerned.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Tiffany, if you check out the links posted above, especially the safehaven one..it gives an approximate amount of what your kitten should be eating and at what age. 🙂

Tiffany
    Participant

I got a poopy!! I am a proud, happy kitty mommy! Thank you so much for all your help!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Congratulations Tiffany—we get really excited about poop here too! I am happy for you and please feel free to update us on your kitten–oh, and we LOVE pics!

Tiffany
    Participant

I was literally about to take her to the vet tomorrow if she didn’t poop, but then, with a lot of determotion (on my part) and patience (on her’s) we got it done! As for pic, I’ve got a TON! (Of emma obviously, not the poop…) How many would you like?? Haha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Concats on poop!

Thanks for clarifying what the pictures show. 😉

I would love to see a lot of pictures and how about adding your kitten as TDK?

PG

Tiffany
    Participant

(How do i post pictures on here? o.o)

katzenjammer
    Participant

You need an upload site – many of us use Photobucket. You upload pic from your desktop to Photobucket. Then click on the img tab above this textbox and copy/paste Photobucket url as prompted. To get your kit featured as The Daily Kitten on Home Page , just click on “Submit Your Kitten” in lower right hand corner on this site for instructions.

Tiffany
    Participant

s1305.photobucket.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

photobucket.com

Tiffany
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

*COA*COA* (Cuteness Overload Alert)

Thud-saved by my airbag!

Wee Emma is soo precious and I just want to give her gentle hugs and kisses! You and wee Emma are lucky to have each other and thanks for sharing with us.

(When we have a COA it means we’re overwhelmed from cuteness. Our COA airbag deploys to save us from falling over.)

Tiffany
    Participant

Haha thanks! I am a very proud kitty mommy today :3

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.