4 Week old kitten. Need help!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4 Week old kitten. Need help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ellie Lewis
    Participant

Today my dad found a 4 week old abandoned kitten at his works, she was just dumped in the bin. We took her to the vet and they said she is all healthy and fine but they are unable to say gender as she is to young (just assuming its a she) and he thinks she is 4 weeks old but can’t be sure. We got her home I made her a nice comfortable bed with a blanket and my t shirt so it smells like me and I’ve made sure its nice and warm the first few hours she slept in there but now she won’t sleep at all she keeps jumping onto my bed and thinks its play time and scratching me. She has been eating and drinking but has not yet been to the toilet I have put her in the litter box but she just jumps straight back out. Any advice or information will be a big help Thank You. 🙂

Melissa
    Participant

Congrats on your new kitty. Just keep putting her back in the box every so often and when she does go potty in the litter box praise her like crazy and if she doesn’t go in the litter box put it poo or the towel u wipe up the pee into the liter box so she knows where she’s supposed to go. At 4 weeks she was just probably starting to go without mom stimulating her. When she has to go she will. With our 8 wk old Alice when we brought her home we kept her in the spare bathroom when we couldn’t have our eye on her every minute ie night time shower time or while we were at work. I still have to put her in the litter box every so often to remind her. It’s just like a toddler. There are some great links on here with awesome advice. I’ll tag a couple things that have helped us. Good luck

kitty mom
    Participant

What are you using for litter? I find that pine litterworks well for very young kittens. I think the pine scent gives tbem the right idea.

may
    Participant

I’m in the process of litter training my two four week olds now and at first I had to stimulate them myself while they are in the litter box. After a few times of doing so they got the idea, now I just have to keep reminding them where and when to potty. As for the scratching and biting get the kitten a small stuffed animal about the same size he/she is (dog toys work better). I did this with my other kitten because he didn’t have anybody to play with and it kept him from trying to play with my hands and feet when I was busy. When they are that young its always play time

Buttons

All great advice 🙂 kittens and scratches go hand in hand 🙂 this behaviour will ease with age and when she (?) is spayed at 5-6 months ( some vets spay & neuter earlier than that )

As for the litter tray cats instinctively will always want to bury their business so keep introducing her to the tray.. I she has an accident outside the tray put some of it in the tray that way she’ll smell her own scent and use it more often.. Also make sure to clean tray at least once a day.. Some cats are very fussy ( my Buttons being one of them) and need a spotless tray before they go to the toilet

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.