4 week old baby is struggling

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Introductions 4 week old baby is struggling

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    luvkitten7
    Participant

Hello,

I’m new to this. I rescued a 4 week old kitten and am fostering for our shelter. He is not doing well. We have been to the Vet several times and he has been on albon then metronidazole for diarrhea. I’m giving subQ fluids and trying to force feed but he is still going downhill. He vomited KMR so I’m using A/D with Pedialyte and chicken baby food. I’m in the dark here he was fine a week ago when another vet decided to give him albon for his diarrhea. This has caused a downward spiral for him. He is 6oz. today but was 10 oz on Monday. His littermate is doing fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My name is Cheryl and kitten is Keeton.

WillowandWindismom
    Participant

Cheryl, I’m so sorry about baby Keeton. I’m afraid that I have absolutely no experience with this but many others here do. Hopefully they will have good advice for you.

Bless you for taking on Keeton’s care!

Kiplings_cat
    Participant

Unfortunately I also have no experience with kittens, although I have syringe-fed adults. If the force-feeding is not going well, or if he is vomiting, maybe you could try Nutrical(sp?), a high-calorie paste? I’ve heard of it, but have no personal experience w/it.

In a pinch, you can even use a bit of Karo syrup. While the Karo won’t give him nutrition, it may give him a bit of life-sustaining energy. Karo syrup is a fructose/glucose corn syrup; you can rub a bit on the inside of a cat’s mouth (NO GLOBS! He might choke) and some will be absorbed through the mucous membranes without needing the cat to swallow. (We have a diabetic cat; fortunately the only time Zappo had an insulin reaction, he was conscious and ravenous. Still, I gave him a bit in addition to food.)

Best of luck.

Skyron
    Participant

4 weeks old is old enough to be on a diet consisting more of solid food than kmr. If you have a bad feeling about the albon, stop using it. In my experience metronidazole has always worked best for diahhrea in babies. If the diahhrea doesnt clear up on that, have you considered the possibility of worms? Worms can cause big problems for such tiny little kitties – including vomitting, diahrea, lethargy, not wanting to eat. Most vets only deworm a kitty when they get their first shots, if you want a deworming med before then, you will have to ask for it.

luvkitten7
    Participant

Thank You for your posts, they were given Strongid 3 weeks ago when I first got them. After they were doing better and eating I took them to Vet to make sure they were growing and getting proper nutrition and weight gain. I brought stool samples and Vet thought they had coccidia so she gave Albon. Within 4 hours both kittens were vomiting with bloody diarrhea. After they had initial dose I did not give any more albon. I took them to another Vet who said they were too young for the dose of Albon the other Vet gave. We tried bland diet and finally put them on a very small dose of metronidazole. Keeton developed neurological problems from it and stopped eating, unfortunately even though I stopped the metro he continued to go downhill and this afternoon at the Vet I decided to let him go as he was unresponsive, would not eat anything even with force feeding, had severe diarrhea and his body temp was very low despite my efforts to keep him warm. The SubQ fluids were not rehydrating him as they passed within hours of receiving them. My heart is broken and I’m grateful for your advice. I think he would have been OK if he could have gotten a little bigger before the albon was given.

Skyron
    Participant

I’m so sorry. I know its always a hard decision to make, but you did the kindest, most compassionate thing for that little kitty. You gave him a fighting chance. So many of them are just put to sleep right away without anyone even bothering to try fighting for them.

Buttercup
    Participant

I’m so sorry Cheryl.[[Hugs]]] At least they were loved and pampered by you before passing. So many kittens don’t even get that.

Too bad the first vet was ignorant. It is not in any way your fault. Some vets are too enthusiastic with meds without considering the tiny size of the kittens.

luvkitten7
    Participant

Your support is much welcomed right now and I Thank all of you. I still have 1 kitten named Buster who is doing well. He is eating and very playful and stool has returned to normal. I’m concerned he will be lonely w/o his brother so I’ve been giving lots of attention. Do you think I should consider getting him another kitten? He has not been tested yet or vaccinated so my thought was to wait a bit and make sure he is going to be OK rather than risk exposing a new kitten and vice versa.

I have been feeding Buster baby food mixed with A/D and kitten canned food(Science Diet) and started to introduce moistened dry food. He weighs about 13oz. How much should he be fed and how often? I have been feeding small amounts 4X a day as like his brother he too was struggling, however he has done well on metronidazole so I would like to know about adjusting frequency of feeding and diet suggestions. Does he need KMR 2nd step or vitamins? Your suggestions are most appreciated.

AZDEBRA 5/27 & crew
    Participant

Tips on handrearing kittens….lots of information on this site…

http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Skyron
    Participant

I’m assuming Buster is the same age as the other kitten was? I’d say he’s ok on on the a/d a few times a day, and then also some kmr. At 4 weeks they eat solid food, but their diet still consists mostly of kmr for about another week and a half. I would continue mixing the kmr with pedialyte until the diahrea/vomitting has subsided. I would also hold back on any vitamins or supplements right now, my rule with such tiny baby is one medication or artificial ‘byproduct’ at a time. Their systems cant handle too many things at once. Stick with the metronidazole, and follow up on any deworming he still needs to have done, but I would wait another 2 weeks before doing anything more on a medical level, unless there is an emergency situation. Sometimes their bodies need time to adjust and heal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.