4 week kitten behaviour change

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4 week kitten behaviour change

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Henriette
    Participant

Hi there, I am new on site and have a 4 week old kitten, Biscuit. I got her when she was 2 weeks old, her mom was killed by a cAr. I fostered her brother until last week, when they turned 4 weeks. She drank perfectly from bottle, no worries, but then last week after her brother left Her behaviour changed. The first day she refused to drink, and I thought it is maybe because she missed him. Okay, then the next day the drinking was better, not as much as before but still at 4 hour intervals and 10-15 ml. But today she acted very strange, she started attacking the bottle getting in very little to drink! She literaly jumps on the bottle and scratches and bites! And when she actually gets the nipple she doesnt latch and suck like she used to. Yesterday she also struggled with latching but did get milk in and wasnt aggresive. This is the same bottle I used from beginning, fresh Royal Canine baby milk, milk comes out when tested and it is right temperature! Snyone with advice?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Hi Henriette, welcome to TDK! I’m sure she is missing her brother, but what really is going on I think is that at 4 weeks, she is hungry. When my kittens have done this, I add a little wet food to the milk and then cut the very tip of the nipple off so the thicker milk/food can come out the end. Make sure she doesn’t inhale the mixture into her lungs, but I think this might help. You could also introduce some wet food to her by putting a little on the end of your finger, let her smell it and then put a little on the roof of her mouth. If she takes to it, she could eat some, then give her her bottle. But I have always liked the mixture better, it’s faster and they like it.

Henriette
    Participant

Thanks Kittyzee, yes shame she really seems hungry but fights so much with bottle that she doesn’t get anything out. Will definitely try your advice today! Thanks again 🙂

Kittyzee
    Participant

Let us know how it works! It may take a minute for her to realize that she doesn’t have to be so crazy, but it should be easier on your hands!

Henriette
    Participant

Hi Kittyzee just wanted to give an update on your advice.. I did what you suggested but before I gave it to her in abottle I was curious to see what she would do if I gave to her on spoon, so I tried and she took the food immediately without any trouble! Needles to say she weaned herself from the bottle within a day! No more fighting, she eats well and seems content! Thank you so much 🙂

Kittyzee
    Participant

Henriette, you have no idea how much it means to know the advice you give works! I know because I have done it myself, but when you are giving advice without seeing the kitten and actual situation, you never know if it will work. Thank you for updating me and congratulations on doing such a good job!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.