4 newborn kittens constipation. URGENT

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4 newborn kittens constipation. URGENT

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

I took in 4 newborn kittens (2 more than I’m use to)from a friend who’s dad was going to kill them if they stayed in his barn. I’ve raised newborns before and have never in my entire life come across the problems I have in this litter. I’ve had them since they were 2 days old for one. For the first 3-4 days they pooped every time I stimulated them. Then I put them on powdered KMR that you can get from tractor supply because I put 2+2 together and decided after the hartz flea medication and collars I didn’t want them on the liquid formula. So now, my black calico will not poop, at all, at first she was to the point she wouldn’t even move but I started feeding her with a syringe and she’s slowly gotten back onto suckling the nipple. Then there is the runt, she can’t be eating more than 1-2ml of forumla. Which is nothing, at all. Both are half the size of their brothers. And I understand males are usually bigger but they don’t even have round bellies. So here is the deal with all of their poops.

-Calico: When I stimulate her before she eats she starts to poop, nothing comes out but it looks like a firm poop. like a plug and no matter what direction or length of time It will not come out or she eventually decides she doesn’t want to and puckers up. I have thought that maybe she was just trying to poop so I keep rubbing for 30 seconds or more until I give up. Then I do it after she eats, same result.

-Runt tabby: same deal. A kitty butt plug and not even a bit of poopie.

-White male: eats a tablespoon(bottle marked) or half each feeding. He hasn’t been pooping either but finally did yesterday. When he did, it was a mustard color and very runny. Before they all had mostly firm orange yellow.

-Orange male: The fattest one of all eats like a cow and has always been my best pooper. He’s still doing ok but he also didn’t poop until yesterday. But this is also a weird runny consistency.

I’ve been putting 8 drops of vegetable oil in 3-4 tablespoons of formula,(as marked on bottle not spoon measured) and if you don’t know about how large that is the bottle is about 4 inches tall. I’ve done 2 teaspoon of powder per 2 table spoons. (it normally calls for 1 tablespoon of powder for every 2.) I don’t know what else to do. They were born on Friday the 13th. I don’t know what else to do. None of their tummies are firm although I’m not getting any, to barely enough to make my washcloth look icky. It’s been 3 days. The girls aren’t firm because they are skinny. The runt has gone downhill and the calico I call pumpkin has gotten worse , then better. I believe if I can find out how to get this stubborn poop out of her she’ll live.

-would the pumpkin theory work for fiber?

-Kitten laxatives?

-pedialyte, is there a certain kind to use?

-What about the thermometer and lube to make passing waste easier?

I need any and all proven ways to make a kitten poop. I’m at loss for what to do, I’ve never had this happen before is such severity.

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

I can’t get the triangle thing to work either! They won’t go on it or either Im too freaking stupid to figure it out. I’ve never had such trouble with them. I’m so frustrated I dont even feel like bothering anymore!

AZDEBRA 5/27 & crew
    Participant

There is a video showing how to do the triangle method but I don’t know what it is, jcat does. You should look at this link for really helpful hints too…. http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm

jcat
    Participant

It sounds like, if they pooped fine before (mustard yellow is normal for kittens on milk) then it’s the new formula that’s the problem, and I don’t think the vegetable oil is helping if a couple now have diarrhoea. (BTW, pooping every other day is fine for kittens on formula.) I’m confused, why are you not following the instructions on the formula tin for diluting it? if I understand you, you’re mixing in twice the amount of powder to the usual amount of water. Powdered KMR always does seem to constipate them at least a little and doubling the powder amount won’t be helping. You don’t need to go back to the same brand of liquid formula you used before. I would go back to a good quality liquid KMR, or you could try goats milk, or kitten glop. You could also try watering down the KMR more than the instructions, and sieving it before you give it to them. There is no special pedialyte to use, just infants’ pedialyte from the infant aisle or home-made pedialyte. You could also try the thermometer and lube, if you’re confident about that. It sounds to me like two have diarrhea and two have constipation, is that right?

To be be on the safe side, I would take them to the vet for a check-up and ask him to show you how to give them enemas, if that should be needed. Best of luck.

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

It says for every 2 tablespoons do 1 tablespoon of powder. And I do 2 teaspoons and add vegetable oil, I’m trying olive oil today and getting pedialyt. I’m selling a few of my things to pay for taking them to get enemas but I need to know how to prevent this and switching formula isn’t an option. We are flat ass broke and I’m stressing out so badly. I’ve even asked if there was anyone to take them, and nothing. I’ve never EVER had this problem I’m so stressed out.

I’ve diluted the formula as much as I can. I stayed up until 7am (its 9 now) reading on this site with the only things they say is the traingle method and I can’t seem to get the hang of it. They only pee, a lot but that’s not what I was going for, I need poops and my two girls are barely eating at all.

jcat
    Participant

Ohh, sorry, I see, I misread your post. Look, I think you’re diluting the formula too much and adding too much vegetable oil (doesn’t matter whether it’s olive or something else, it’s all the same). I think that’s why you’re getting the diarrhoea, and I don’t think you’re getting any poop because they’re not getting enough nourishment from the formula. Try it following the instructions on the can exactly. Kittens only need to poop every other day and if they’re not getting any nourishment, they can’t poop; not enough in, not enough out. You don’t need to buy pedialyte, you can make it: http://www.dailykitten.com/chat/topic/31106

Likewise, you can make kitten glop at home if you want to try that:

http://www.dailykitten.com/chat/topic/31099

If you do take them to a vet (and I still think you should but it doesn’t sound to me like they need enemas) make sure you find out first whether it’s a vet who will fight for your kittens, when they are so young some vets seem to just shrug and more or less say it’s in the lap of the Gods. Check out the messybeast site Deb gave you, it’s the best resource we’ve got for diarrhea and constipation and everything. Yes, you can try a little plain cooked mashed pumpkin — canned is fine but NOT pie filling, you want plain pumpkin with no additives.

I’m sorry we can’t help more but we are not vets, just experienced kitty-owners. We will do all we can to help but we can’t take the place of vets.

ladysky61
    Participant

Is it possible for you to take in the mom as well?

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

When I followed exactly They wouldn’t poop at all! 🙁 I’ve read several places that the powdered stuff makes them constipated.And no sadly, If I could have taken mommy in too I would have. I would have preferred it that way actually as I know no mommy is better than kitty mommy! She was wild as far as I was concerned, I did not find these kittens, they were givin to me. I’m sure if they trapped her too she’d be wild and wreak havok in my house and hurt my puppy & 6 pet rats. I doubt the mother is even around any longer for me to trap, let alone accept her babies a week after they’ve been out of her care. I’ve been trying to find a nursing queen if at all possible but I’m not having any luck. Like I said, the boys are pooping, It’s some pasty and some runny but the girls won’t poopie at all. Except my calico, she eats and I see her poop, and its like a plug and it wont come out no matter what! The runt will hardly eat and doesn’t even act like she needs to poo, I’ve been force feeding her via syringe. I’ll check out those websites, I need all the help i can get.

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

went to the vet and they told me what to do, I’m going to feed them pedialyt the store bought stuff since I dont have time with 6 rats a puppy and a 10week old kitten (so many pets!) That the plug is dehydration although the tent test didnt show it. So hopefully by day after tomorrow morning I can get some poopies!If not I’ll have the money to vet them.

HeatherNicoleexD
    Participant

boys are poopooing really nicely. I think they were all a bit dehydrated. 🙁 I mix pedialyt with their formula now and dilute it a tad.

jcat
    Participant

That’s brilliant, Tic0nx, I’m so pleased.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.