4 month old Mabel with bad leg and toilet problems

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4 month old Mabel with bad leg and toilet problems

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    emma
    Participant

Dear All. Many apologies for the lengthy text but i hope someone can help in some way.

At the end of september i found a 3 month old kitten (approx) with a damaged leg that she couldn’t walk on (apparently a motorbike hit her) 🙁
    I took her straight to the vet and they bandaged it up and gave me some medicine to give to her. Within a few days she was walking and running on it and was a cheeky, naughty little thing. Within a few weeks her foot had healed but her elbow (a bigger wound) was still healing.
    After a month her elbow was still not healed and she had developed a constipation problem. She had been living off rice and fish before i found her (like all cats do here in Sri Lanka) so i didnt want to change her diet. The vet told me to give her some medicine twice a day to help her go but it didnt do much.
    Anyway i took her to a different vet because she looked like she was in quite a bit of pain and had not been to poo for 4 days!! The new vet gave her pain relief and antibiotics for her leg and she was back to her normal self until after 3 days until the meds wore off. She now seems to go poo every 2 days which i dont think is enough.
    Although she has no problem with her appetite my concern is that she is not her normal self (not active) and not grooming. I dont know if shes just in pain cos of her leg or its something stomach related. Shes constantly meowing (but shes always done this and maybe shes just a talker) Either way she not right and im unsure about what else to do.

I will be seeing the vet again tomorrow so that she can check the wound and i can talk to her about this but i would be very grateful if anyone could shed any light on whats troubling her.

xx

Kittyzee
    Participant

Hi Emma, I am not a vet and don’t know what kind of problems Mabel may be having with her leg. But a lot of times pain meds and poor diet will cause constipation. I don’t know if you have access to goat’s milk there but it works wonders for immune systems in cats and general good health. It needs to be pasteurized and in the states you can find it with the regular milk in the cooler, or in the baking aisle in cans. It is condensed in the can so you add water 1 to 1. A little olive oil added to her food would help also. Do you have access to any kind of canned wet food, or can you order it online? A diet of rice and fish will not be sufficient in the long haul for her so I was wondering what other people do and where you can get access to a nutritional food. Keep us posted on her progress and about her leg please.

emma
    Participant

Hi kittyzee

Thankyou so much for your reply.
    I am feeding mabel on just fish at the moment to try and avoid the constipation. When she was really bad with it i gave her goats milk (rarely found here) which helped but then she had a poo that looked like she wasnt digesting the milk properly as it was streaked with bits of milk.
    You can get whiskers pouches here but they are costly. But if they are more nutricious than just fish i will buy them.
    I know many cats and dogs here that live healthly here on fish and rice but im so concerned about her that i will give her the pouches.
    She will be seeing the vet today and im going to request a blood check and see if there maybe something wrong with one of her organs.

Thankyou very much.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Emma, please keep us posted on Mabel. The goat’s milk, if you can get it is good for cats of any age. I don’t think the streaked poop is anything to worry about, as the milk has good probiotics in it for her gut. Whenever a cat eats anything different (like any animal) it shows up in their poop.

emma
    Participant

Dear kittyzee

Thankyou for your message.
    Ok, i will give her goats milk and whiskes pouches food throughout the day.
    Im nervous about giving her alot of food because of what seems like a painful stomach. But also nervous about giving her too much liquid (ie goats milk) that she gets diarrhoea.
    She pooed last night (thursday night) after having diarrhoea tuesday night.
    Although i did really well with my 2 cats that i had from 3 weeks old im struggling with mabel and getting the right amount of decent poos per day. :/

Kittyzee
    Participant

Emma, the goat’s milk should help with her tummy. My kitten Willow settled down after being on the goat’s milk. Most cats are lactose intolerant which is why they shouldn’t have cow’s milk, as it gives diarrhea.
    Also, she may have parasites and need some meds from the vet.

emma
    Participant

Dear Kittyzee

I have now taken Mabel for a scan and she has nothing wrong with any of her organs but she has alot of gas.
    She is now on liquid meds to combat this and we have been told to keep her off the goats milk and rice as these ferment in the stomach.
    If you wish i can keep you posted on her progress.
    We are keeping everything crossed that this works.

Thankyou
    xx

Anonymous
    Inactive

Please keep us updated on wee Mabel. Goats milk is meant to help gassiness not cause it but I won’t argue with your vet.

Here’s so info that may help you:
    About goats milk.

1. there are plenty of studies you can find on the internet about the merits of goats milk vs.formula from cow or soy. Really dig into these so you can feel right about your decision. Goats milk is the closest thing to mothers milk because of the size of the fat globule, etc. and I believe a far superior supplement than cat formula.

2. You can buy pastuerized goats milk in liquid or powdered form. Goats milk has added vitamin D, folic acid and a B vitamins…. The cans stays freshest if used within 5 days once opened. I recommend staying away from canned as it seems more like an evaporated goats milk, but the fresh is great and the powdered is nice because you can mix up what you need with warm water.

emma
    Participant

Dear Pussigat

Thankyou for your reply.

Gosh its soo difficult to know what to do!
    I suppose goats milk still has a little of lactose thats why the vet says stay clear of it. But i do realise the benefits of goats milk as my other cats were strong on it.

The other thing i suppose is maybe im not feeing her the correct amount. How many ounces should i be feeding her per day? I say ounces because im giving her the whiskers pouches at the mo. She is a big talker and likes to beg for food….but this is because she had her first 3 months on the street so its hard not to give into that.

Thankyou

Anonymous
    Inactive

As you said because she’s had a rough start she’s wants to eat and eat and eat. I think part of the problem with her gassiness is she is eating too fast. Given your location, the cost and availability of wet food, purrhaps you should slowly transition to quality dry cat food-kitten formula is best for her right now (if available). Many people frown on dry food but I’d rather you and Miss Mabel don’t go bankrupt. Again, once wee Mabel is on dry food, make sure she has lots of water available. You don’t want her to be begging or overweight so follow the guide provided with the food. You continue giving her a Goats milk at .8cc to 1 ounce of weight x 2 daily for a month then shift to once a day. This will help ease her tummy while transitioning her food.

I want to hear what other TDKers think of changing to dry food. You can also ask your vet. if he knows of a quality dry food.

emma
    Participant

Dear Pussigat

Thankyou so much for replying

Although costly i think i will keep her on the whiskers pouches as dry food is going to make her constipation worse and shes currently not been for 4 days when it gets to this evening.
    Also although i want to put her on goats milk i don’t think its wise given what the vet says.
    The vet suggested that i give her hilac and up her dosage of the liquid meds that i give her so hopefully that will work.

xx

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.