4 Mo old kitten with severe Diarrhea

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4 Mo old kitten with severe Diarrhea

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Linda
    Participant

Please help I’m at my wits end. I adopted a 10 week old kitten from the local shelter and she has had diarrhea from the start. Now a over a month later it is no better. We have been to the Vet several times. Tried Albion, Metrozoial, Deworming, Probiots (sorry for the spelling) and new food. Nothing is helping. She goes 8-12 times a day and it is totally water and mucus. Now she will no longer use the litter box and cries while going. I don’t know what do to at this point. She is miserable. They tested for parasites and it was negative. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on this kitten and she keeps getting worse. I can’t even let her out of the bathroom now because the pooping is so bad. She does eat well, drink and wants attention. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Liz
    Participant

Bump — I hope someone on here can help you!!

When your kitten is on the medicine does it help the diarrhea at the time?

My kitten has had somewhat similar symptoms — she was on Metronindazole, Panacur (dewormer) and now she’s off of those meds the diarrhea has come back and there was some blood in it. The vet called me to ask how she was doing and I told them her diarrhea was back, with a little bit of blood. The vet tech told the vet what I said and they said to put her back on a bland diet. Gypsy’s energy level is pretty good, she’s eating, drinking, napping and playing, so the vet’s office didn’t seem too concerned.
    And when I had taken her to the vet the fecal exam came back clean, but considering that my kitten came from a shelter that doesn’t do anything medical but rabies vaccinations, we decided to assume she had bacteria in her gut and more than likely worms.

The bland diet seems to be working for my Gypsy (her stools have started to firm up). I’m also giving her Lysine for an URI and a probiotic to help with her diarrhea.

Liz
    Participant

Oh — maybe you can call the vet and mention a bland diet? See if that will help. And please google behind my advice, or ask the vet about kittens eating white rice and pumpkin. I *think* kittens can have white rice and pumpkin to ease an upset stomach.
    I hope this helps, and please update us about your kitten.

Linda
    Participant

Thanks Liz. It did not get any better with any of the treatments so far. She is also a shelter kitten. I still have her on the Probiotics because it can’t make it worse at this point. She plays, eats, and is very friendly in between crying and going potty. I can tell it hurts and that has turned her off litter boxes. I just feel horrible keeping her in the bathroom all the time because of this. I have asked my vet to look into T. Foetus as a last resort.

Jeankit
    Participant

Here are some links that may be helpful.

Kitten Lethargy and Diarrhea links:

http://www.all-about-cute-kittens.com/kitten-diarrhea.html

Chat link for diarrhea:

http://www.dailykitten.com/chat/topic/42509

http://www.cat-world.com.au/lethargy-in-cats

You can also type in word on search box above right for more links to chats.
    Example as diarrhea, etc

http://www.keepingkittens.com/kitten-diarrhea.html

WinterTime
    Participant

Have you tried feeding her plain yogurt? That was suggested to me when our kitten had diarrhea and it seemed to help pretty quickly.

Linda
    Participant

I believe the Yogurt would be doing the same thing as the Probiotics are supposed to do only they are stronger. She is currently at the vet so they can take a sample for T-Foetus. The sample has to be sent to NC State Vet Dept for testing and will take 10-14 days to determine. I’m praying at this point that they find something so we can get this resolved. She went 12 times yesterday and it’s wearing her out.

WinterTime
    Participant

Good. That’s definitely for the best. She certainly can’t continue this way. Nor can you. Please let us know when you get the results. Wishing you both the best…

Anonymous
    Inactive

My Gaea had this problem until I started giving her powdered Intelliflora in her each serving of wet food. It has made a difference with her. It’s OTC. Good Luck
    PG

Linda
    Participant

Just wanted to update everyone on her condition. We started her on the medicine for T. Festus even without the results. It has been a great success! Five days in she is having normal stool for the first time ever. If you have a kitten with this issue and nothing else works then try Rondazole as a last results.

Liz
    Participant

Thank you for the update!! I hope that cures your kitten for good 😀
    My kitten has been experiencing similar symptoms, except she didn’t seem to be in pain while going potty. Gyp is on her second does of Metro and is now being treated for Coccidia. If her bloody stools resume after these meds I’ll look into the Rx your kitty is taking for T. Festus.

Does anyone happen to know if vets (typically speaking) will let you bring in a stool sample to be tested without paying for an exam? I was thinking about doing that for my kitten once she’s done with her Coccidia meds and her stools stay good. I don’t want to unknowingly expose my other cats to any kind of bacteria or parasites.

WinterTime
    Participant

That’s wonderful news! I know it has to be a tremendous relief for you and she couldn’t have gone on that way for much longer. Thanks for the update. I’m still curious about what was causing the problem. Have you received the results yet?

Linda
    Participant

We got the results today and it was negative but they stated that a negative result did NOT mean the cat was clear of the parasite. Only a positive result is definitive. Since the treatment is working my vet feels she is a false negative and we are going to complete the protocol. She has had no negative side effects and has in fact gained almost a pound in much needed weight! I hope this thread will help others with the same issue find some hope.

WinterTime
    Participant

Completing the protocol definitely seems like the wise course to take under the circumstances. I’m very pleased that she is doing so well now. I’m sure this thread will be helpful to someone down the road. Thanks for sharing it!

rajaram
    Participant

Pretty! This has been a really wonderful post. Many thanks for providing this information. namesz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.