4 Day old Kitten won't feed much, no stool

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 4 Day old Kitten won't feed much, no stool

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tim
    Participant

Hi, I’m forwarding an urgent question from a friend overseas, who has adopted 2 abandoned newborn kittens.

The kittens are 4 days old, and have received dried formula especially for kittens, and we are attempting to bottle feed using a kitten bottle.

One of the kittens is taking formula and has passed stools, but the other one has neither taken much of the bottle nor has passed any stools, although has passed urine.

When should we be expecting first stools for a kitten of 4 days? My friend has been taking very good care of the kittens but is very concerned about this. My friend has also attempted to perform massage before and after feeding. We are concerned about potential constipation but the kitten has taken so little formula from the bottle it’s hard to know.

Another question. At the time of massage the umbilical stump was pulled but again has become dried. We are wondering if that will cause a problem?

Thank you so much for your help. I’m translating all these questions so I hope I made them clear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

TDKers swear by goat’s milk because it has nutrients and probiotics not found in KMR. KMR tends to cause constipation/Diarrhea. Cats are lactose intolerant and Goats’ milk is low in lactose and easier on her tummy. It’s in the refrigerated milk section of the grocery store or in the baking aisle in cans. The canned is condensed so add water 1 to 1 and store in the refrigerator. Also, if she likes the gruel mix use the Goats’ milk with wet food and let her eat that as well.

Here’s some recipes for Emergency Kitty Formula

In a pinch, the Cornell Book of Cats says that human baby formula can be used if made up to double the normal strength (human baby formula is normally not nutritious enough for kittens). With the exception of Goats’ milk, none of these are nutritionally complete for the long term health of a kitten.

Formula #1
    1 quart whole goat’s milk
    1 teaspoon light Karo syrup
    1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt (goat’s milk preferred)
    1 egg yolk
    Knox unflavored gelatin:
    Newborn-1 week 1 pkg
    2nd week 1 1/2 – 2 pkgs
    3rd week 2 1/2 – 3 pkgs
    4th week 4 pkgs
    Put goat’s milk in saucepan, add gelatin in the amount above depending on the kitten’s age. Heat goat’s milk/gelatin mixture just until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat. Mix in remaining ingredients and refrigerate. It will keep up to one week. Heat to skin test temperature and feed kittens.

Formula #2
    8 ounces homogenized whole milk
    2 egg yolks
    1 teaspoon salad oil
    1 drop liquid pediatric vitamins (optional)

Mix well and warm before using. Keep refrigerated.

Formula #3
    1 part boiled water to 5 parts evaporated milk
    1/2 teaspoon bone meal per 16 oz fluid

Mix well, refrigerate, warm before using .

Formula #4
    1 can Evaporated Milk
    1 egg yolk
    2 tablespoons Karo syrup

All three mixed well and kept in tightly sealed jar in fridge.
    At feeding time mix 1/2 of the estimated feeding amount with:
    Equal amount of boiling water
    (once a day mix 1 drop of human infant liquid vitamins in each kitties formula)

If constipation occurrs: add 1 drop of Olive oil to each kitties formula no more than once daily till problem is eased. Test temperature before feeding (the combination of boiling water and chilled formula should be just about right).

http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm
    http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm
    Helping a kitten to eliminate

The umbilical cord should dry up and fall off by itself. Remember to set up a nest with a heating pad or water bottles. Make sure there’s enough room for the kits to move if they get to warm. Kittens won’t eat or eliminate if they are cold.

I hope this helps your friend.
    PG

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.