3 weeks old kitten did only drink 30cc HELP

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3 weeks old kitten did only drink 30cc HELP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    yurika
    Participant

i have a difficulty on feeding my orphan kitten, online said 3 weeks old kitten normally they suppose to drink around 80cc daily but i only manage to feed her around 30cc daily by force. she is not weak, she is completely active and meowing a lot and stop when i put her out from box to let her walk on my bed and she also keep biting me. i feed her 7-9 times daily. now im worry if she didnt consume enough milk she might get weaker and weaker. ahh 1 more question about her condition, she normally behaving like really starving and drink way too fast until the milk bubbles coming out from her nose but she only can manage to consume 3 cc and then she stop.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yurika,

Welcome to TDKland. Thanks for rescuing your wee kit.

She’s nibbling on you because she’s hungry. We TDKers recommend pasturized Goats’ milk. Most kits love it and will drink it up. I would start that right away. If you have to buy it in town, you’ll have to pasturize your self. It’s really easy and here’s the instructions:

To pasteurize milk, follow these steps:
    Put milk in a double boiler or in jars in a pasteurizer or canner and heat to 165 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 seconds.
    Cool the milk as quickly as possible, but make sure not to put the hot jars in cold water or they will break.
    Store the milk in the refrigerator.

She’s really young but if she absolutely does not like Goats’ milk then start giving her wet food, little bits at a time.

If you notice she’s lethargic you can put a dab of Karo syrup of honey on her lips.

Good luck and keep in touch

PG

yurika
    Participant

Hi Pussigato, thank you for your quick reply. thank you for all the tips and by the way i have been using goat milk all these time and feed her when it was warm. About the karo syrup, we dont have that kind of brand in my country so can i use any kind of honey brand and does it will works on her?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry-Karo is a brand name but it’s a corn syrup. Yes use a bit of honey. Pedialyte is an liquid energy booster. If you can’t get it at the store here’s a home made Pedialyte recipe.

Mix together:
    1 quart water
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt

You might try a gruel of wet food and goats’ milk but use more milk so she can swallow it. Put this in the bottle and make the opening a bit bigger to allow the gruel to come out.

I hope this helps.

PG

yurika
    Participant

UPDATE: i have 3 kittens (Coeus,Ditey and Maru) around 3 weeks 6 days by now and all of them lose appetite ever since 3 December 2016

1st December: Maru not interested on drinking milk but really active and
    always biting

2scnd December:goat milk powder for kitten finished so i bought new one
    which is not a goat milk and it was recommended by pet store
    worker because i was asking milk for kitten (probably she is
    a new worker) and after feeding my
    kittens i noticed it contain min 36% of lactose, after 3rd
    feeding all my kitten suffer from diarrhea.then bought goat
    milk and feed them at 4th feeding but they refuse, so i
    force feeding them and still has diarrhea

3 December :they completely rejecting the milk and during afternoon i
    brought them to vet also i kinda notice they too tiny for 3rd
    weeks kitten size and too light. the vet told me that i need to
    bath my kitten use warm water because they got flea ( i didn’t
    do it before because im afraid since kittens are too fragile).
    He also gave deworm injection without my permission, its not
    like i dont trust his job, its just i read it so many times
    deworm on kitten could be really dangerous because they are too
    weak and after deworm my kittens got diarrhea, the vet also
    gave multivitamin

4 December : their poop not too watery anymore, more like too pasty because
    i reduce the formula and increase the water but they still
    lose appetite

5 December : they still lose appetite but i have been consistently feeding
    them 7cc per feeding (usually 6-8 feeding per day)

6 December : Coeus manage to drink 3cc by himself, Ditey 1cc and Maru 1cc
    and i continue force feeding the rest cc and Coeus got diarhea
    again idk why probably deworm injection effect?

im so sorry for the long post

yurika
    Participant

7 December: Coeus almost/seems like puke and the puke is more like nothing but bubbles and saliva..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yurika,

I so wish I had advice for you. All I can say is give him lots of love.

PG

yurika
    Participant

hi Pussigato, you did gave me advice a lot and i did with the honey on them it works, they like it, but then when tried to feed them re still refuse and i to went discuss about this matter he said probably they dont like the goat milk so he recommend me to add honey in the milk so i did.. they still refuse it so the next day i tried to take your advice to feed them and i did after the third feeding they got diarrhea im not sure because of the food or because its side effect from the vet gave them deworm injection.

so my plan is imma gonna stick to force feeding them till they reach 5 weeks max so i can introduce them to wet food. their condition right now is active and they even walk faster, now they are started to climb the box..so cute lol
    anyway thank you so much you helped a lot,

Kittyzee
    Participant

Yurika, go ahead and mix goat’s milk with wet food to make a soupy gruel and put some on your finger–let them sniff it and put some on the roof of their mouth. Make sure there are no chunks for them to choke on. I hope this does the trick. You never know at what age a kitten will want to try solid wet food, as each one is an individual. Good luck!

yurika
    Participant

2 days ago i tried to mix goat milk with wet kitten food until it became soupy and i only feed them a bit just tried so that they can get used to eat

yesterday Coeus still can walk and move but not meowing at all and last night he lose interest on climbing the box during feeding time and he is the best climber. he used to had diarhea because of deworm but last night the poop is improving to pasty and the other 2 kittens poop normally. he also used to drink more milk by his own will compare other 2 kittens

today Coeus, the healthiest kitten has cold paw paw and just now he is dead, he seems like panting and and kicking and the paw paw seems like pushing something

now i lose 3 kitten in total, and all 3 was the healthiest kitten compare these 2 remaining, its still shock me how kitten can be so fragile

these 2 kittens poop normally so far they looks healthy but so skinny and still refuse to drink.. so should i continue feeding them goat milk mixed with wet food or should i stick with goat milk? please help i dont know what to do anymore, vet open on monday..

Kittyzee
    Participant

I would definitely get the milk into them even if it’s a few drops by syringe every hour or so. If you can get some pedialyte into them it would help even a few drops as it contains electrolytes they may have lost during their diarrhea. I am sorry you lost your little kitten, but sometimes no matter how hard you try, you lose kittens. I have lost kittens that I thought were healthy, only to find them gone when I went to check on them. It’s called FKS (Fading Kitten Syndrome) and it strikes most of us who have tried to save orphaned kittens. It could be something the mother passed on to the kitten, to many other causes that we just cannot see.
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm
    http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

yurika
    Participant

i did not have pedialyte soloution but i prepare 10% of glucose recommended by vet and have been giving my 2 remaining kitten every 2-3 hours and i slept 5 hours which is the longest time they drink at all.

Now my one of my kitten is dying in front of me, her hand trembling and cold and her breathing pattern is too slow and mouth open, i noticed her mouth is stick inside more like have mucus and also her nose is watery and now she wrapped by cloths laying in top of the heating pad. she got diarrhea suddenly right after their brother died (2 days ago)

i didnt know what did i go wrong on this, i diluted the formula almost like 2 days now and she still got diarhea while the other kitten are not.

is it because of too much glucose solutions? (4cc every 2 hours) or is it because coccidia or worm? but a week ago they have got deworm or maybe because it is my fault by force feeding them use syringe and all this time she is suffer from aspiration pneumonia ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh Yurika,

You have done so much for the kits. Sometimes, kittens just don’t make it and there is no way to know which kits will survive. As KZ said they most likely had FKS.

The kits had the best foster mom. You gave them love, kindness and protection. This is what they’ll carry in their hearts furever.

Your heart is hurting and I feel for you.

PG

Kittyzee
    Participant

Yurika, please don’t blame yourself for the loss of your kitten, or if you lose any more. You have been tireless in trying to do the best for them, and if it wasn’t for you, they would have died cold, and hungry, and unloved. So many things work against little tiny newborn kittens, it’s a miracle to me that any of them survive.

Bless your kind, loving heart. We here at TDK are so touched by your kindness.

yurika
    Participant

thank you for saying that, anyway this is probably the last update because my one last kitten is lethargic today and i went to vet they said usually at this state they said my kitten need her mother or maybe cannot be saved anymore and i ask for how much they charge for nursing and they said it cost 20 for 9 hours(they provide the queen but unfortunately they dont have it anymore) and i dont have enough money to sustain her life more further if they have one and lucky one of their vet try to peek on her and started to like her big eyes and the vet said that she will provide the nursing for free at her house where newborn kitten has a mother that she found 2 days ago

she found those kittens along with their mommy thrown out from the car by their owner.she bring me to her house and i notice she has a lot of cats specially sick cats, from stray to expensive type of cats and that moment i felt relief because she is a cat lover too and helping a lot of cats

anyway then we place my kitten in their box, now i hope my kitten will feel that she is not alone anymore and will feel loved by her new mother and soon eventually will begin to nurse again and grow bigger

i had so much dreams on my kittens such as making a new a house with a cat design and train them with litter box and also making a hidden litter cabinets for them lol

thank you all for helping, without help from you all i dont think my kittens can survive this long, this is the one most amazing experience in my life. its been ages since i never had any emotions and responsibilities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.