3 week old shakes

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eli
    Participant

Hi, there.
    I don’t know if this is really anything to be concerned about or not, but Sweet Pea shakes when I’m not holding her. I know she’s not cold because my mom and sister hold her as well and she still shakes (and her paws don’t feel cold. usually when she’s cold her paws are cold), and if I won’t hold her, she presses against my hip or my foot and stops shaking as well. Just wondering what this could maybe be? If she’s super attached or if she’s scared or something?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Eli, I don’t know how old your kitten is, but using a heating pad on low in her nest wrapped in a towel and a space to crawl off of it if she gets too warm is a great way to keep your kitten warm. Kittens can’t regulate their own body temperatures when they are very small, and they can’t digest their food if they aren’t warm. If this continues, I would suggest a trip to the vet for a general checkup to see how she is progressing.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Well DUH, you did say 3 week old shakes didn’t you! LOL! Sorry about that. The same advice applies.

Eli
    Participant

I thought she was cold at first, too, but I read somewhere (can’t remember if it was here or elsewhere) that their paws will feel cold if they’re cold. She’s getting pretty good at regulating on her own, but I do still keep a heating pad in her bed, with a lot of blankets (she likes to burrow into them). She doesn’t usually shake, just when other people are handling her or playing with her. When she’s playing with me or on my chest she doesn’t shake and purrs quite a bit. She does have a vet visit on Wednesday, though, because I’m pretty sure she still has coccidia. I’ll probably badger him with questions, too, lol. I’ve only ever dealt with pups before, so this kitten is pretty new to me. Also kind of a random question- should she be able to pee and poop on her own at 3 weeks? I mostly have to stimulate her poo, but she’s been peeing on her own for about three days.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Eli,

Miss Sweet Pea may seem to regulate her own temperature but she really can’t do that until she’s about 7-8 weeks young. She still needs help peeing and pooing. She won’t do that on her own until she’s on her own solid food (5-6 wks). I’m sure she has picked up that you are her meowmy and relaxes in your arms. She feels safe and purrhaps, others aren’t as gentle as a tiny kit needs.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Hi Eli, PG gave you good advice. She surely knows your scent (as I’m sure you know hers too 🙂 ) and she snuggles and cuddles when she’s with you. She will probably always do that, as all my cats were hand reared rescued kittens and are comfortable snuggling and cuddling to this day. And yes, you still need to pee and poo her, but it gets easier as they get older and they are on a routine. Once she starts solid wet food which you could introduce it with her milk with a little on your finger on the roof of her mouth. If she has some tiny teeth that is. Let us know how she is doing, we love to hear about kittens!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.