3 week old orphan kitten constipated 4 days

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Purrs 3 week old orphan kitten constipated 4 days

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ireland
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I think I just want to get this out because holding back the tears isn’t helping.

I’ve never had a pet in my life bigger than a goldfish. Neighbors had a BBQ in front of my building and found two kittens hidden under the stairs. They made the mistake of moving them from this “nest”, the mama cat must have been hunting. These humans moved them to the back of the building, mama kept her distance from the kittens after that, they spent almost a day not fed and she wouldn’t go near them anymore. My sister and I decided to step in and try to do something about it. We took them in, gave one a warm bath with Dawn but just with one was hard work. A co-worker’s friend took the second cat, we stayed with.. Luna.

We immediately did what anyone does these days: jump online, discovered KMR, they’re about 2-3 weeks old so no shots for them, how to clean them, all of that. We took her in Aug 28, she pooped fine until we gave her KMR. Took her to the vet, they said “you’re doing everything right.” But since Tuesday morning she’s not defecated, she only urinates. I thought I’ve been stimulating her correctly. I thought I’ve been mixing the LMR powder correctly. But now she’s approaching 4 days constipated. I’ve been reading the forums, watching videos, I’ve not slept or eating much. This morning I gave her a big of olive oil, just 3 drops in her bottle but I couldn’t wait. I took her again to the hospital tonight and they gave her two enemas. They said they broke down the feces and if she’s not defecated in 24-36 hours to bring her back. I asked “should I try to stimulate her?”, they said ‘no’ but either way I try to massage down her tummy, but still nothing since her enema at 8:30pm and it’s 1:12am.

Like I said, never had a pet like a cat or dog in my life but I researched, read, seen, tried everything I could. Now she’s sleeping in her box in my room and it’s all up to her. I never understood the attachment pet owners had, I have this now. It’s only been like 5 days but I’ve put a lot of hours and care and love, now she’s like this and I feel it’s my fault like I missed something or did something wrong 😥 She’s not been lethargic, she’s been yowling but has a good appetite. Why won’t she release the enema fluid? Should I give her a little more olive oil? Is it a great concern? I’m fearing the worst. Or is my head and heart taking it too much to heart?

I’m sorry for the long post. I just don’t know what to do. I don’t even have kids precisely because I’ll worry so much, and this is a tiny kitten who’s life is in my hands and what if I screwed up? 😥

Luna sleeping on my lap

I’m not a praying man, but I’ll pray to anyone who will help her live a long and full life.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.