3 Week Old Kitten's Pooping Habits…Are They Normal?

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3 Week Old Kitten's Pooping Habits…Are They Normal?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Gapko
    Participant

My kitten, Carter, is a very strong kitten. Although she is only 3 weeks old you can tell she is a fighter. She comes from a long line of farm cats, which are always born tough. Everything seems to be going well, she is eating well, although not on a schedule. Like I said she is only 3 weeks so she is being bottle fed, usually when she shows signs (nuzzling and kneading for a nipple). I am currently trying to litter train her with no luck because she has yet to start peeing on her own. She does poop on her own though. She has never once pooped when I stimulate her and whenever she poops it is in her blankets. I am worried because it is always runny enough to soak almost all the way into the blankets. The color fluctuated, it was a brownish or yellowish almost every time but the last two it has been a brownish green. Could this be dangerous to her health? She did, unfortunately have to be removed from her mother quite early. I have had her four four days (she is actually a week and four days today) and has also had a three hour car ride and drastic change of scenery. Could this be the reason for her watery stool and if so when will it change back to normal? Or is it normal for bottle fed kittens to have watery poop? Please help, I am worrying my little heart weary for my baby girl.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Little bottle fed kittens sometimes have changing stool, but once they start on wet food it straightens itself out. She may like to try some wet food with a little of her kitten milk mixed in. I raised my last kitten entirely on goat’s milk and he did very well. It’s lactose free and settling to their tummies and has a lot of good flora for their gut, keeping them regulated. You can find it in the baking aisle in cans at Walmart or most groceries or the fresh milk cooler. She will need a vet visit, most likely she has worms from her mom and to rule out any other parasites which could be the cause of the color of her poop. All my cats are farm cats too and all hand reared. They make wonderful family members! Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Gabriel Gapko
    Participant

Thank you so much for replying, and sorry it took me so long to. Carter’s poop ended up going back to how it should be but now she isn’t pooping at all! It has been almost four days. Also, whenever she pees it is only next to the liter box, I have to set her in it in order for her to actually pee in the litter. I did start her on wet food today though and she took to it right away! I am very proud of her for that.

Kittyzee
    Participant

She would benefit lapping the goat’s milk from a bowl, it’s good for her gut and immune system. Make sure you have non clumping litter starting out, kittens tend to eat the litter (who knows why?) Also, if it is strong smelling, they don’t like it. I start mine out on unscented, non clumping litter, once they get the hang of it, you can switch to clumping, but I would still not buy a strong scented litter.

Gabriel Gapko
    Participant

Until today I could not for the life of me remember this sites name. All of the sudden it popped back into my head and I immediately felt the need to come and tell you my beautiful baby girl is alive and amazingly healthy. People compliment her all the time and she is the greatest joy in my life! Thank you for your help all those months ago!

JerseyJoan

Hi Gabriel – I’m so glad Carter is doing well!
    Have you submitted a pic of her? I can’t remember if she has been featured. It would be great to see her!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.