3 week old kitten poop concerns

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3 week old kitten poop concerns

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Alicia
    Participant

Sorry long***
    I have a kitten, she will be 3 wks old tomorrow. Her mom died when she was 5 days old. Not sure why. She had a total of 6 kittens. Mira was her first and only kitten she cleaned an nursed. 3 of the 6 we’re clearly deformed and we believe that’s why she wouldn’t touch any that came out after Mira. For all intents and purposes Mira looks healthy, appears to be thriving. She’s on target growing, eating and development.
    My issue is poop, we started out with kmr powdered formula adding Pedialyte and water for tummy sake. She started having loose yellow stool so it was suggested to give her a probiotic. Within 2 hours she pooped normal. For the next 2 days we had poop a couple times a day. Then it was every other day. Concerned I took her to my vet. As a precaution she gave her fluids, said it’s quite possible, given what happened to other kittens Mira could be deformed inside, said she’s very backed up and her poop is really hard no more probiotics ( big belly) prescribed viralax for her said she should be pooping 3 to 4 times daily!?.(this was Wednesday) Sent us home. We got another small poop later that night then nothing till Friday, came home for lunch to feed her she had 4 turds dry as straw in her box. Now I added extra water to her formula, added a couple drops of olive oil as well, giving her viralax daily, I stimulate her before and after feedings, Lots of pee Everyday. Her belly is still so big and no poop yesterday. Yesterday afternoon I changed her to goat’s milk recipe. She loves it but here we are Sunday and no poop since dry ones on Friday. I have read numerous threads on constipation, treatment.. I think short of shoving a vaseline covered thermometer in her bum(don’t feel comfortable with that) im out of ideas. Im praying that vet is wrong that she’s just like any other kitten having tummy issues. Honestly I’d be happy to look in her box and find her covered in diarrhea at this point. Im so attached to her and if I loose her I know my heart will break, even my hubby and daughter love her so much. Any ideas?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Pooping 3 to 4 times a day is excessive, unless it’s because of the Viralax. I’m hoping it is just the KMR powdered formula, because I have found that to be true with it. The liquid formula seems to cause the opposite.

I will post a link that we use about constipation, and also a link to help her poop called the ‘triangle’ method. As long as she is eating, peeing, pooping occasionally, and playing, I would say she is normal. She may have worms also which could be causing her problems. Poor mama cat and her other babies–I’m so sorry you lost them.

Chaos’ Guide to Constipation

Helping a kitten to eliminate

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.