3 week old Kitten hasn't pooped in 3 days

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3 week old Kitten hasn't pooped in 3 days

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Wesley Smith
    Participant

About three weeks ago we found a litter of five kittens while doing some yard work after a storm. Unfortunately, four if them were gone, but the fifth was still alive. We brought him into the house to warmed him up. My wife went to store to get some kitten formula (came back with liquid formula). So far, he has been doing well, the vet said (at the time of the appointment) that he was a little cold, but in generally good health. My wife has been taking him to work with her as our kids are in school and I work in a Computer Data Center (AC running nonstop). She weighed him the first day, 4.7 oz. We figured he was about 3 – 4 days old as he still had some of him umbilical cord still attached. After three weeks he is about 15 oz, eyes are open, and ears are opening. He had several hard poops and I started diluting his formula in a 1:3 (1 Tsp to 3 water) ratio last wek. He seems to like it still, he get so excited when he realizes the bottle is infront of him and he finds the nipple. This week, he pooped on Tuesday, it was about 3 – 4 inches long, good coloring. So far this week that was the last time he pooped. It is now Friday and I have not been able to get him to poop. It try wet and wet soft wash cloth, cotton balls, holding him in different positions (on his back, straight up and down, laying on his stomach in my hand, laying on blanket), but he still has not pooped. He cries after a little while of stimulation and his butt looks like it is pushing out a little, but nothing comes out and i dont want to irritate the skin. He has been peeing a lot when we stimulate him as well. Good color on this as well.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions anyone might have. We plan to keep him and have named him Fidget, because that is what he likes to do all the time.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Awww, WS, Fidget sounds adorable. Go to the grocery and get some goat’s milk in the refrigerated section where the milk is, or in the baking aisle they have it in cans. The canned is condensed so you just add water 1 to 1. This will help him with his constipation and any tummy issues he may have as it contains no lactose (like cow’s milk) and is full of probiotics for his gut. You can add a few drops (3 drops to a kitten bottle) shake it up and feed him to help soften up and hard poops. You can also maybe try him on some wet food mixed with the goat’s milk to see if he is interested. You can make a gruel of it and put it in the bottle and open the hole of the nipple up so it can pass through. I am going to post a link for the ‘triangle method’ of pooping a cat, sometimes this comes in handy. Just keep up the good work you are doing, be patient, he will finally poop!

Helping a kitten to eliminate

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi WS,

Welcome to TDKland. KZ was saying to add a few drops of olive oil. That along with Goats’ milk will help him along. You can put a dab of vaseline or Neosporin on his butt to help it heal.

PG

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.