3 week old kitten, broken paw

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3 week old kitten, broken paw

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ChekaRN
    Participant

Hi again,

My four kitten babies are now about 3 weeks old according to the vet this past Tuesday. They are all thriving and healthy. The biggest weighed in at 13oz, then two at 12oz, and the littlest (and only girl) weighed in at 9oz. The coughing and sneezing I asked about in a previous post are normal, according to the vet their lungs are clear and they have no signs of infection (Thank God!). We have had them now for 2 weeks and a day. They don’t poo very often, but again the vet said they will go when they gotta go and not to worry. Apparently up to 5 days is normal when all they get is formula…

ANYHOW My question is this:

My two year old decided to let little Gabby (the 9oz girl) take a ride down her slide. I caught her just as she was letting go, but oops. Kittie has a hurt paw hence the vet visit. The incident happened this past Saturday, we went to the vet on Tuesday when she was still limping around. The past two days she has been the same. She won’t even flex her fingers out or anything 🙁 She just sits there meowing….

The vet said kittens heal fast and to give her a week. There would be no point for an xray because she wouldn’t get a cast or anything anyway. So the vet said let’s just treat it as if it is broken, until the kitten starts to use it again. “It should take a week” and “let her get plenty of rest, dont force her to use it”. And of course, keep the toddler away from her (don’t ya think I wish I could… it ain’t possible)

Anybody experience this with such a young animal or any animal? I am feeling really bad for her, yet there is nothing I can do …

Thanks again,

Heather

CheetahBoysmommy
    Participant

Kitten bones do heal pretty quickly. Does she protest when you rub her paw? Does she even try to walk on it? If she will let you gently massage it, it’s probably not broken. If she isn’t willing to let you touch it, it could be broken or just badly inflamed. You could wrap a really cold moist cloth around her paw to help with both any inflammation and to reduce her sensation of pain. Don’t put an ice pack or ice cubes on it – that would be too cold. Just put ice and water into a bowl and soak a cloth in it. If it’s not too cold for you to wring out, it won’t be too cold for her.

If you get really worried, you could call a second vet, but it sounds like this one is trying to keep you from spending money needlessly.

ChekaRN
    Participant

Thank you for replying.

Yes, she does try to walk on it but then her paw kinda just goes weak and she gives up. She keeps falling because she is unable to support her back legs. She does squeak when I rub or touch her paw, even gently. Good idea with the moist cool cloth, going to go try that now.

Thanks again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.