3 week kitten pear shape & poo!?

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3 week kitten pear shape & poo!?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    letmekissthesky
    Participant

Hello all!

What a fantastic website! I am an expat living in India at the moment and have adopted a 3 week old kitten that was abandoned by its mama. His name is Toffee.

He has been with us nearly 2 weeks and after much love, warmth, attention and good food is growing well and enjoying life! I have a few queries that I was hoping somebody might help us with…

Poo – his poo varies from solid to semi solid, it is mainly tan/orange colour but has dark brown bits in it, is this normal?

Tummy – I’ve noticed in the last couple of days that his tummy is looking a but bloated, a pear shaped kitten! He is eating healthily so I am wondering if it is worms? I have looked in the poo but can’t see anything – is it too early to de-worm him? Or maybe the poo colour and tummy link together somehow?!

I really hope I am just being overly paranoid and that everything is OK (I am not too sure on vets here) – any advice would be very gratefully received!

Many thanks

Hello from the UK

Well, I’d start by checking what he is eating and go from there…..

‘dark brown bits’…Mmmm worse case dried blood, don’t panic could be a teeny tear and self heal.

Bloated tummy….could be worms, could be a blockage, Kittens do tend to eat anything that stays still long enough.

I’m not 100% if he is too young to be treated for worms, it could even be another type of parasite?

Milk/cream isn’t that good for cats, so avoid that too.

Bestest advise……..a trip to the vets – paws crossed

Hugs and whisper wipes to Toffee

Kiplings_cat
    Participant

At 3 weeks, I believe kitten milk replacer or goat’s milk is perfectly appropriate. Cow’s milk doesn’t meet a kitten’s high nutritional needs.

I’ve never had a kitten that young, but from reading others’ posts I understand that it is fairly typical for little kittens to have round tummies after eating. Does his belly go down before the next feeding? Is it soft? You could also try burping him after feeding- pat him gently on the back.

mommyto2two
    Participant

Hello from New Orleans, Louisiana! My orphaned kitten is 5 weeks old and while I’m no pro by any stretch of the imagination, I think i can help. Lola’s poo, even today, is the same color and consistency you described. She is a very healthy eater and she’s usually pear shaped, especially after a feeding. Lol. As long as your baby is eating and peeing and pooping, she’s fine. I took Lola to a vet when i got scared about her lack of poo and the vet said she was just fine. Not backed up and from the fecal matter she collected the color was perfect. I think your baby is doing just fine. Good luck!

pucca
    Participant

What a great name!

letmekissthesky
    Participant

Thank you so much for all your feedback – I have been feeding him Milk-O-Pet a powdered kitten formula that he really enjoys slurping! I have recently also introduced some dry food and meat to his diet although he doesn’t seem to keen on that…

I have been really closely watching his little tummy and it only bloats after food so I think we are all good! Just ultimate paranoia, he is so small and I worry so easily about him…

Lots of Love to all your little critters and thanks again!

futurevet
    Participant

hey i am from malaysia.. i too adopted a 3 weeks old kitten.. mine did not poop for at least three days. about the tummy : try gently pressing his tummy..is it hard? if yes then it might be constipation. you have to be serious about constipation because it can cause the kitten’s intestine to be blocked and can cause internal injury too… and about the poo : if its watery or can i say diarrhea : it may be caused by the formula you are feeding him is not suitable or maybe it is dehydrated.. you might want to give a little bit amount of water after each meal.. just to regulate the intestine.. take care.. and do keep us updated 🙂

momma2all
    Participant

I JUST took my 3 week old kitten Mowgli to the vet and he had a pear shaped belly and had orange poo that was loose. The vet said most kittens have worms because the mother transfers them. and she dewormed him. So I would take Toffee to get dewormed. It couldn’t hurt to make sure he is worm free lol

letmekissthesky
    Participant

Thanks for all your feedback – I think I was just over worrying! His appetite, eating (only solids now), poo colour, tummy shape are all hunkydory and he is growing bigger and stronger each day – A ginger ball of mischief!

I did have another query though that someone might be able to help with… We would quite like to adopt another kitten so that Toffee has a playmate – since I have raised him from 7 days old though I was wondering if he would have any issues with another kitten coming in to the house? He is brilliant with other people and enjoys the company of everybody passing through but I am not sure about another kitten… Any thoughts/experiences from anybody would be great!

letmekissthesky
    Participant

Just realised that my new query is not related to the topic AT ALL so have started a new thread with it in…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.