3-4 week old kitten difficulty weaning

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 3-4 week old kitten difficulty weaning

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Gia Leigh
    Participant

Help! I’m trying to wean my 3/4 week old kitten but it seems that it doesn’t understand the food bowl. I’ve been adding whiskas junior the wet kind to her milk and feeding it to her in a bottle. I’ve tried putting the slurry in the bowl and leading her to it but she keeps avoiding it. Plus whenever i feed her with a bottle it’s like she’s scratching and hugging the bottle and only calms down when i manage to lead the nipple to her mouth and the milk starts coming out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Gia,

Welcome to TDKland. You girl is much too young to wean. Mom cats don’t wean their kits until 7-10 weeks. You need to continue bottle feeding until she’s about 5 weeks and then you start with a gruel in the bottle. You make that with milk and wet food and will be the transition to wet food. Here in TDKland we recommend Goats’ milk. Goats’ milk is full of nutrients, probiotics and gentler on their tummies. This can also regulate the poop. You can find it in the dairy section or the concentrate in the baking aisle. Mix the concentrate 1:1 with water or pedylite.

She’s too young to understand anything but nursing so please be a bit slower with her.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Hi Gia, like PG said, she’s too young to start weaning. You may need to be feeding her more often, so that she’s not so hungry when she is beginning to nurse. When a kitten scratches frantically at the bottle, it means they are hungry. It might not hurt to add a little wet food to the bottle, but make sure it’s the very fine pate’ style food and add the juice and a little of the food. You may have to cut the nipple open some to let the food pass out, otherwise, she won’t be getting anything but the food flavored milk. Just make sure she doesn’t choke on any little bits that might come out of the nipple. I have made an X in the nipple and I have also cut the tip off for kittens before they are ready to eat from a bowl.

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.