27.9.2017 World Tourism Day

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum TDK Cafe 27.9.2017 World Tourism Day

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lagatta4
    Participant

There is a lot positive about tourism. From time immemorial, humans have set out to discover new horizons. With many positive encounters, and sometimes a useful industry for local people, but also challenges as in mass tourism threatening cultures and historic sites.

As for cats, I’ve already visited cat shelters in Rome and Venice and plan to visit more. Encounters with cats are always memorable.

http://www2.unwto.org/home-wtd-20

Jeankit
    Participant

Brewtown had a special event this past weekend:
    10 must-see Doors Open MKE sites
    There’s no better way to get a peek inside the city’s most interesting – and often most historic – sites, many of them typically off limits to the public, than Historic Milwaukee Inc.’s annual Doors Open Milwaukee event.
    Paraphrased: (how to be a tourist in your own home town) 😉
    I was working but friend said it was a very interesting/awesome tour!

I sometimes call myself a tourist when I am Up North. Usually I am a “Townie” for I am on outskirts of Township but when go into next larger town about ll mi away to shop, eat etc – Voila…I’m an Up Nort’ Tourist 😀

Nice Concept to be a “tourist” in a far away place…but making it work locally as #ShopEatDrinkLocal #SupportLocalBiz is name of my game these days! Woot woot…later!

lagatta4
    Participant

I do a lot of local tourism here in Montréal. I’ve led “Jane’s walks” about neighbourhoods or topics. It is hard to make a topic about cats, as they come and go so much.

I worked on several local events, in particular Indigenous cultural events, this past summer.

Does Milwaukee have events about German and Central European heritage?

Jeankit
    Participant

Thanks Lagatta.
    IMHO: Focusing on heritage increases respect for neighbors – as #Coexist!

Yes, Milwaukee has an Ethnic Folk Fair yearly in late Fall which celebrates many ethnic heritages. Our Summertime Fests as Polish, Italian, German, Irish, Mexican, Native American…usually almost every weekend at our Summerfest Grounds near Lake Michigan.
    Other ethnic groups India, Oriental, African have smaller venues due to $Funding$ for it takes a large budget to rent Summerfest Grounds for Individual Fests.
    We’ve had neighborhood walks hosted by local author usually in Spring/Fall.
    A book has also been published on Series.
    City of Milwaukee Neighborhoods
    Published by Historic Milwaukee, Inc., this 466-page book is the most comprehensive account of grassroots Milwaukee ever published. Based on a popular series of posters published by the City of Milwaukee in the 1980s, the book features both historical chronicles and contemporary portraits of 37 neighborhoods that emerged before World War II, an ensemble that defines the historic heart of the city. The book also features 11 new neighborhood posters by artist Jan Kotowicz, who created the original series.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.