25 day old orphaned kitten with severe constipation

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Purrs 25 day old orphaned kitten with severe constipation

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Kupcake96
    Participant

9 days ago we acquired a kitten who is now 25 days old. She is very, very small. She weighs about as much as a 14 day kitten should weigh. Her appetite is pretty good, and she urinates frequently and a good amount.

2 days ago I noticed that her stomach looked like she was full BEFORE I fed her. A day later the left side of her stomach started feeling hard, we had already had an appointment with her vet so we decided to bring it up with him at the appointment. So, Friday she went to her appointment, they gave her an enema and subcutaneous fluids. She went back Saturday and they gave her the same and instructed me on how to do this at home, since the hard mass in her abdomen was not getting better.

So earlier tonight (Saturday night) I gave her fluids and an enema. She immediately pooped after the enema and the doctor said that if she pooped right away then it didn’t get a chance to do the job the enema was supposed to do, which is to break up the hard poop. The problem is that I don’t remember how much fluid to give in the enema. The vets office is closed on Sundays, and they have an emergency pet hospital that they are associated with (VCA) and told me to call them if I had any questions or concerns while the regular vets office was closed. So I called the emergency office and they said that they would not advise me over the phone because they would need to see the kitten, to weigh it and everything. I tried to tell them that I was being seen somewhere else and that I knew the exact weight of her and could answer any other questions. But alas, they want my money for a check up, and will not advise me over the phone. I DO understand why they wont….but its really frustrating for me right now being denied information that i NEED.

Anyway, her stomach is sooo hard, and she is sooo small. I am constantly worried that she is going to die, I often tear up when I talk about her, and I dream about her every night. Last night I woke my husband up and told him to help me look for her (in my sleep), because I was dreaming that I lost her in the blankets in the bed. And that was not the first time I have gotten up/slept walked because I was dreaming about something awful happening to her.

I have to bottle feed her every 2 hours (because she is so small we have to get as much nutrition into her as possible).

We got x-rays done Friday, but being she is such a young kitten her abdomen is full of fluid and you can not see anything but a bit of intestine near her anus.

She is sooo small that she can not have most medicine because even the smallest dose could be toxic to her.

Anyway, I guess I just needed to vent my story somewhere where I know people might care. I could use some crossed fingers. I did start a blog for her last week, to document her progress and pictures if you want to see her, since I cant figure out how to do my avatar on here yet. http://mousethestory.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading if you got this far ๐Ÿ™‚

jcat
    Participant

Kupcake, poor little baby, bless you for doing all you can for her. Try to keep her well hydrated (did the vet show you how to give subQ fluids?) as that will help with the dry hard faeces inside her. You could also try adding a drop or two of vegetable oil (olive or soya bean or canola) to her formula.

If you click on the pink tags, poop and constipation, top right-hand corner, you will see many previous threads on this subject, as well as a video.

This is also an excellent website for the care of young kittens: http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm. I hope that it helps. Please let us know how your little one gets along.

Kupcake96
    Participant

Yes, Im doing SubQ fluids now twice a day with the enemas. I asked the vet about adding something to her food, or watering it down, but he doesn’t think that it would be the way to go right now. Being that the lump is already formed, he doesnt think that anything going in her mouth would help much. Also he doesnt want to take away from her nutrition, because she is so small.

I have read so much information about this and about the care of orphaned kittens in the past week it would make your mind spin ๐Ÿ™‚ But I will definatly look up everything here to do with those subjects. That site about care of orphaned kittens is already bookmarked as I found it many days ago. Very good read! One can never know too much, I am ever the dedicated student ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for your quick reply!

jcat
    Participant

No worries. The Merck veterinary manual also has a page on constipation:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/23303.htm&word=constipation

Your vet sounds like a good guy, and I just looked at Mouse and her blog — she is adorable!

Kupcake96
    Participant

Thank you for your complement!

My vet is awesome! We have yet to be charged for an exam, as my first one was covered with a coupon, and each ‘follow-up’ is free. So, we have only paid for her treatments, the x-rays being the most expensive. But he tries to dial down the cost because her future is so unknown and because she is so small.

I am pretty sure he sees her for free because he just wants to see her. :)Orphaned kittens might not be too rare, but she is extremely small, and until this poo business, she was in pretty good health.

We lost one of our cats last year and finally felt ready to offer our homes to another kitten. And she fell into our laps. Our other cat was calico also, so Mouse really fits the bill.

Really, I don’t know what I would do if she doesn’t make it.

anncetera2
    Participant

Kupcake, if you can, estimate to the best of your ability the amount of fluid for the enema. You should be able to fairly easily tell if the amount is closer to two tablespoons, for instance, or more like three or four. Adding a small amount of glycerin (say 10 drops) to the enema water won’t hurt. And you might also try adding 10 drops of olive oil to the formula (well shaken), in an attempt to ‘lubricate’ from the other end. (In the formula, the olive oil may float to the top unless the bottle’s shaken well every 15-20 seconds; makes feeding harder, but might get more into the kitten.)

Is there *any* way for you to contact your vet? Seriously. (I’m talking about looking up the vet’s home address and phone number.) Most vets I know won’t be upset at a 5 minute consultation on the phone with a well-informed pet owner with a very specific question.

Kupcake
    Participant

The vet told me to use a drop of dish soap in warm water for the enema, so that is all I am adding now. I dont know what glycerin is.

I read alot about enemas last night and I have decided to just give 2ccs both times today. And call first thing tomorrow. I gave 2ccs last night and it worked pretty good and didnt seem excessive or too little.

I am going to try the other 24 hour animal hospital to see if their doctor can just give me an ammount so I feel a little more confident about it.

CheetahBoysmommy
    Participant

Hi Kupcake – it’s nice to have another SoCal person in the group.

How do your other cat and the dogs react to Mouse. An orphan kitty will often bring some matenial instinct out in another animal and if one of them with take over the licking and cleaning of the baby she would greatly benefit from that. Not only would it help make the little one more regular, but being bathed by another pet would be easier on the wee one’s tender skin.

You’ve taken on a big job and we are all pulling for you and Mouse.

Kupcake
    Participant

Cheetah, my dogs are curious, but none of them have done more than sniff her. My cat hated her when we brought her home. If the cat was near us and we had her on our lap then she would hiss and growl something awful (not like her at all).

My vet doesn’t want her in contact with my other pets because we can not be sure if she doesn’t have something that could harm them. She is being treated for coccidia now. But there are really no tests to check her out. We have been trying for a week to get a large enough fecal sample to test, but with her little poops its very hard to get enough in a 12 hour period.

I don’t discourage interaction if my dogs come up to her when she is in my lap, but I am not going to try to get them to lick on her because she might be a carrier to something.

Khom
    Participant

Kupcake, how’s the kitty? Any luck on breaking up the poo? Is there a non-invasive procedure the vet can do to break up the solid mass?

Kupcake
    Participant

Ok, well…I spent half the day today in tears.

She is eating half what she normally eats all day today. Except one meal she ate a good amount, which made me at least stop crying.

Her stomach is so swollen and hard. It is like the size of a small egg, I cant even imagine that it is poop causing this.

I gave her enemas and subQ fluids twice today. The enemas seem to help, and she is pooping ALOT. But the mass doesn’t seem to be getting smaller to me.

So, her appetite is smaller, her poop is more, her energy and activity levels are normal, as is her urine.

She has a doctor’s appt tomorrow afternoon. I am going to demonstrate the enema and fluids to the doctor to make sure that I am doing it all right.

I am feeling very down today. We took some video of her though. when she is in my lap and I am petting her, she will roll over so that I am petting her hard tummy, and I read on the net that if I rub the area it might stimulate blood flow to the area and might help. So if you check out our blog you will see the video that I took ๐Ÿ™‚

Khom
    Participant

Kupcake, don’t lose heart. She seems to be quite a fighter at tht young age of hers. I’ll pray for the both of you that this thing gets resolved soon. *hugs*

Kupcake
    Participant

Here is the link to her video. http://mousethestory.blogspot.com/2010/04/25-days-old.html

Its at the bottom.

jcat
    Participant

She seems very responsive and, as Khom said, a wee fighter. Don’t give up hope.

Skyron
    Participant

Ok, I’m just wondering out loud here. Has mouse been a bottle-baby from the beginning? If she’s never had any milk from her mom, its possible that she never got the intestinal cultures going that she needs to digest & excrete her food properly. When i get newborns, I use stuff called protexin to counteract that, but please ask your vet about this first though. Even a tiny speck of protexin too much can kill them. Maybe some plain unflavoured yogurt with live cultures might be a safer option?

Kupcake
    Participant

Mouse was a week old when her momma cat never came home. So she did get the colostrum.

We go to the vet today at 2pm PST.

Kupcake
    Participant

Mouse didn’t eat her 6am bottle or produce a stool or urine, I am going to call the vet at 8am (when they open) to see if they have an earlier appointment. I slept about 1.5 hours last night and now I can not go back to sleep because of worry.

Poof
    Participant

Mouse is soo cute! What an approp name!! She looks like a little mouse in some of the pictures.

I will be sending you good thoughts today and hope to read some good news after your vet visit.

Poof sends hugs.

Kupcake
    Participant

I am at the vets office. The vet is getting a second opinion from the other vets here in the clinic so I am waiting and posting from my phone.

The vet thinks that the next step would be to take Mouse into get an ultrasound. They want to properly identify the mass. My issue is that the mass is soo big I just can’t see her colon expanding that large and still allowing poop to pass, because she has been pooping since day 1.

The ultrasound was quoted to us as around $300, we just paid $150 for x-rays and she sems to be declining really fast. I hate that money is an issue. But the fact that the test will either show that it is stool – which treatment won’t change, it’s an enlarged organ -which would mean eithinaisa, or parasites and they are going to treat for that today anyway.

I’m bawling my eyes out right now…and my husband has military 24 hour duty today and won’t be home till tomorrow night ๐Ÿ™

Skyron
    Participant

I’m so sorry. I can only say that I’ve been in your shoes, I know how desperately one can fight for a kittens life. I’ll hold thumbs for mouse and pray for a good outcome/solution to come from today’s tests.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.