2-wk old Kitten – Diarrhea, Blood in Stool, Weak

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 2-wk old Kitten – Diarrhea, Blood in Stool, Weak

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    orenji
    Participant

Hi everyone… First I’d like to thank in advanced for any advice I can get in this situation. I have see how you all help each other and admire the love here.

Last Sunday, my partner and I found a 1 week old kitten. The kitten’s eyes are open now. He was very active, was crawling all over the place and was very vocal when hungry. We were a bit worried when we started seeing a bit of blood in his stool. We took him to the vet on Friday and he seemed fine. The vet inserted something into his rectum to get feces and test for worms. He also gave him some meds for worms just in case there were worms that were not detected… We brought the kitten home and were relieved the vet said he seemed strong and had a good chance of survival. But after we brought him home his appetite has decreased by a lot. He barely moves, and sleeps all the time. He has not defecated but still urines. Could this be a side effect of the worm meds?

We went to the vet again today and his face told us everything… the kitten was not doing well. He recommended we feed the kitten Pedialyte and a bit of Kaopectate for the diarrhea. It’s 10pm and no sign of improvement… he tries to meow but cannot even seem to. We are extremely anxious and stressed and are worried he will not make it through the night… Please, any advice would be greatly appreciate.

Have any of you had this same situation?

EDIT: I apologize, I just realized I posted this in General Topics…

Gigi1182
    Participant

Keep that baby warm, and close to you! Are you bottle feeding? Make sure you feed him around the clock every 3 hours for now, then as soon as you feed him make sure you stimulate him to poop and pee. Mix the pedialyte into his formula (make sure you’re giving him CANNED kitten formula- KMR is best. Do NOT use the powdered mix stuff, it gives them diarrhea!) Baby that young should be drinking about 10-15ml of formula per feeding. If he’s not taking the bottle, try a baby syringe- sometimes they will lick it off the end and eat it that way. Make sure you’re feeding him while he’s laying on his BELLY- never on his back, he could aspirate the formula into his lungs and get very sick.

Bottom line is- make up a nice little nest for baby with a heating pad set on low underneath a comfy fleece blanket. Put a big stuffed animal in there for him to snuggle up to. Keep an eye on him, and don’t forget- EVERY 3-4 HOURS he should be fed for the next 2 weeks- whether he cries for food or not.

Good luck!!!! I had the same issues with my Mollie baby and she’s now a healthy, bouncy 14 week old ball of energy!!

Gigi1182
    Participant

and P.S. Kittens are fun to look at, coo over and play with- but with one that young you HAVE to let him sleep. Especially if he’s been sick. Feed him, give him lovins, stimulate poop him with a damp cotton ball or paper towel, and put him straight back in bed. 🙂

Gigi1182
    Participant

btw- if you’re having trouble getting to poop, you might have to be a little more “strenuous” with stimulating him. The “triangle method” works wonders. You get him over a sink with lukewarm running water, put your thumb and middle finger on each side of his anus and pointer finger on the underside between his legs, then massage him like you are trying to squeeze sausage out of the casing. Be gentle- don’t SQUEEZE him- just massage him. Get his little butt under the lukewarm water every so often to help things move along. If you start to get even a LITTLE stool you’re doing it right. It might take a while. I had Mollie under the faucet for a good hour at a time when she was constipated over several days. Don’t hurt the little guy though. He’ll cry because he doesn’t like it but if he yelps you’re hurting him. Be gentle yet firm. Continue this until he goes on his own with just the cotton ball/paper towel stimulation. It works!!

God Bless and I hope he gets better!! Poor thing! I’ve been there!

CheetahBoysmommy
    Participant

Hopefully, your baby is just reacting to the worming treatment. Keep in mind, though, that mama cats will sometimes abandon a kitten if she knows there is something inherently wrong with it.

Kittens cannot eat if they are too cold or too hungry. You can solve the cold problem by carrying him next to your body, in a sling or even in your bra (the success of which depends on your gender and bra size). You should also provide him with a hot pad under one side of his bedding. Kittens can’t regulate their body heat so make sure he can crawl off to the cooler side.

If he isn’t eating, he won’t have the strength to eat. Solve that problem by rubbing a little bit of light Karo or honey on his gums. You are feeding him kitten replacement milk, right? Not cow’s milk which they can’t digest.

Here are some links with tons of good info.

http://feral-kitten-rescue.blogspot.com/2008/10/feral-kitten-how-to-story.html

http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm

http://www.kittenrescue.org/pages.php?pageid=15

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/orphans.shtml

http://www.feralcat.com/raising.html

orenji
    Participant

Thank you Ginger and Cheetahboysmommy for responding. I appreciate your responses so much… Unfortunately he did not make it through the night and died right in my hands… My partner and I are baffled and distraught. It happened so quickly and we were so attached already. We were even making plans to move into a larger apartment for all the cats and new kitten. He was fine one moment and deteriorated the next day. I just don’t understand why and all these what-if’s are running through my head. I just wish there was something else I could have done!!!! :'(

edit: to answer all your questions… We were feeding him KMR powder milk every 2-3 hours. We would stimulate his genitals and he was urinating fine. Once in a while he would have some diarrhea with a bit of blood which is why we took him to the vet in the first place. After that it went downhill… he was so full of energy… it makes me feel like we did something wrong to cause his deterioration… :'(

CarnivoreLVR
    Participant

I’m so sorry 🙁

jcat
    Participant

You did nothing wrong, you did all you could. If there had been anything missing in your care, the vet would have told you and you would have been able to rectify it but the very very sad fact is that abandoned kittens are usually abandoned because their mum knows they are not going to make it. It is very, very hard to raise an orphaned kitten, the hard fact is that up to 40% of them die, and all of us who have tried to help orphaned kittens have had them die on us. It is devastating but you can’t blame yourself. It is sometimes called ‘fading kitten’ syndrome, a kitten that seems fine suddenly starts to fade, but we don’t know why. There are so many things that could have gone wrong during the mum’s pregnancy and birth — not enough nutrition, birth trauma, viruses, mum’s blood being incompatible with baby’s, baby not having its mother’s antibodies any more so its immune system becomes very vulnerable — and we will never know why.

But if you hadn’t found this baby, and given him love and care and food and medical attention, think how lonely and sad his death would have been. He was cherished all of his short life since he found you and though it was such a brief and tragic life, it was a happy one. Think of what you gave him. {{{HUGS}}}

orenji
    Participant

Thank you Jcat… I appreciate your comforting words very much. I read your words to my partner in hopes to help ease his guilt too :'( He blames himself and is harder on himself… but you are right, we did all we could. I hope one day there are more means to save the lives of these poor orphaned babies. If we find another orphan, I’m sure we will put even more effort and love into it… but next time we will try to keep a level head and prepare ourselves for the worst.

Thank you all again so much for your kindness and help. If you were here I’d hug you all!!! *hug*

Dee
    Participant

Bless you and your partner, Orenji, for giving a little kitten some love. I love what Jcat wrote to you and completely agree.

I am so sorry for your loss.

orenji
    Participant

Thank you so much, Dee. The support here has been wonderful *hugs* We’re getting through it one day at a time. Thank you all…

CheetahBoysmommy
    Participant

You did everything you could for the little guy. It’s no one’s fault that he didn’t make it. Like JCat said, you gave him a loving home, warmth, food and security. He wouldn’t have had any of that if you hadn’t taken him in.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.