2 week old orphan kittens – diarrhea! Need help, please!!!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 2 week old orphan kittens – diarrhea! Need help, please!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello everyone!

This is a very long story but I’ll try my best to keep it short.
    I’m fostering a family of 5 kittens and their mama. When I got them, mama-cat was badly malnourished, didn’t eat or drink and didn’t have milk. I took her to a vet provided by a pet shelter and I was told to separate her from her kittens and to start bottle feed the babies (mama-cat has no energy to eat and isn’t going to make it). I had a bad experience with this vet before (my cat was misdiagnosed by them, I was the one who figured out my cat’s diagnosis they laughed about and we ended up that I was absolutely right when I took my cat to another vet) I decided to take them to another vet and pay for a second opinion. So mama-cat was badly dehydrated, a vet gave her IV with fluids and I kept giving her fluids under skin for a couple of weeks after it, I didn’t separate her from the kittens but started to feed the kittens additionally with PetAg Petlac, fed mama-cat with Nutro MaxKitten wet food and Petlac leftovers. So mama-cat got milk, all kittens (including the weakest one that she abondoned) are about 7 weeks old, healthy and happy.
    A week ago, a pet shelter asked me to accept another 4 newborns without mama, we were hoping that mama-cat that still has a lot of milk will accept them and start nursing them. But she didn’t.
    So I started to bottle feed newcomers. I didn’t find PetLac and got PetAg kitten milk replacement plus instead. Everything was pretty normal but 2 days ago, mama-cat changed her mind about the kittens and started to feed them 2-3 times a day. At the same period of time, I opened a second jar of PetAg Plus.
    And a couple of days ago newcomers got a very bad diarrhea. I separated them from mama-cat, and instead of mixing formula with water, started to mix it with Pediolyte. There were slight improvements but today it got worse again. Their stool looks like a yellow water mixed with white curds. I don’t know what caused their diarrhea – mama-cat milk or a new jar that I opened (mama-cat is still nursing her kittens and their stool is normal). This morning newcomers refused to eat formula. Their bedding was covered with liquid poop (they don’t poop or pee on their own yet, I’m not sure how old they are but 3 days ago they opened their eyes). I had no choice and allowed mama-cat to feed them. After that I gave them pure pediolyte through a bottle and they sucked it very well.
    So I have a difficult situation: I’m afraid to take them to the assigned by a pet shelter free of charge vet clinic, and even if I do – I doubt they’ll help, besides that there is a huge risk of kittens getting euthanized by a pet shelter orders; and I can’t afford another trip to another vet.
    I have Flagyl pills that are leftovers from treating my cat from diarrhea but I’m afraid to administrate them without vet recommendation and not knowing what dosage to give…
    What should I do? I’m really afraid to lose these babies!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Diarrhea is the second only to upper respiratory disease as the most common concern of kittens from animal shelters. Diarrhea in kittens can be caused by worms or Giardia species.

It’s possible the change from PetAg to mama to PetAg has upset their tummies. We recommend feeding Goats’ milk because it’s closest to mama’s milk. You can find Goats’ milk in the dairy section or the concentrate in the baking aisle. If you use the concentrate mix it 1:1 with water. It’s high in probiotics and nutrients. Cats don’t digest cow’s milk very well because they are lactose intolerant and Goats’ milk is low in lactose. This prevents many problems like diarrhea/constipation. You feed them Goats’ milk exclusively until 5 weeks and then mix it with wet kitten food making a gruel. By 9 weeks they should be eating wet kitten food. Of course, the kits will decide when they’re ready to make the transition.

So I recommend starting them on Goats’ milk now. It should settle their tummies and give them nutrients and probiotics. For now put some Karo syrup on the top of their mouths which will give them a boost in energy. Pick up the Goats’ milk at the same time and mix with Pedilyte. Don’t wait to finish the new PetAg plus just feed them the Goats’ milk. Kittens can not digest food if they’re cold. Often they will have diarrhea, as well. The babies need to be kept warm in their own nest using soft blankets. Place a heating pad, on LOW, covered by a towel to keep them warm. Be sure they have an area where they have a cool spot to crawl to if they get to warm.

Metronidazole is really a horrible tasting medication and can be a nightmare to get in your kittens. I realize Metronidazole is the best treatment for diarrhea but please don’t give them Flagyl until you’ve talked to a vet. Purrhaps you can call the vet. for correct doses for the kittens.

Here’s a couple of links on hand raising kittens:
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm
    http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

I know this is a bunch of information to read so my first and best advice is to get the Goats’ milk and start feeding it exclusively. It will take a day or so for them to stabilize. Keep them on Pedilyte and pick up Nutri-Cal High Calorie Nutritional Gel. It provides vitamins, minerals and extra calories for pets needing a nutritional boost.

Good luck
    PG

Kittyzee
    Participant

It sounds like you know what you are doing and what you have done so far is way beyond what most people know how to do. What PG said above about the goat’s milk is worth doing and you have them on pedialyte already. Who knows what is really going on here, but it could be something passed from one of the mother cats to the kittens since who knows what kind of viruses/bacteria these cats could have picked up in their lives. Controlling the diarrhea is the most important thing to do now. Calling the vet (or ANY vet) at this point would be what I would do, especially on limited funds. You can only do what you know and you are doing awesome. Good luck with your kittens, keep us posted as I am interested to know what the outcome will be. Will be praying for you and your kittens!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is evaporated goat milk ok?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes evaporated Goats’ milk is OK just add Pedilyte.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok. Here is a quick update: one kitten’s diarrhea got under control; his poop is still yellowish but firm. Other 3 kittens – no improvements. A few minutes ago I fed them goat’s milk mixed with Pedilyte for the first time, I hope that is going to help. How much of Nutri-Gel should I give to them and how often?
    Their nest has been always warm. I keep them inside a pet crate that has electrical blanket (low heat) on one side and normal blanket on another side, everything is covered by a heavy towel, thin fleece blanket and a training pad on top. And I keep the crate inside the main bedroom’s closet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just give them a 1/8 tsp. every 2-3 hours.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Update. Goat milk mixed with Pediolyte made things way worse. All kittens’ diarrhea turned into a jet of yellow liquid mixed with some white curds. Two kittens got a huge anus irritation – it became very red and swollen. Kittens were screaming out of pain jetting poop out, and stopped sleeping crying most of the time. I called to a vet but didn’t get much help, I was told to give them more Pediolyte and to not give them Flagyl. Their pads and kittens themselves were covered with poop that was “fatty” on touch as goat’s milk. They also started to wheeze after each feeding time, so I started to suspect either allergy reaction or worm problem. So I decided to stop giving them goat’s milk and ended up running around the town looking for PetAg Petlac (and finally found it). Besides that I got organic camomile herbal tea and started to give it to babies through a syringe 5cc every 3 hours. I also got a special napkins for wounds to treat their anus irritation.
    So far I fed them twice with PetAg Petlac mixed with Pediolyte, and they finally fell asleep. Can’t wait for the morning (it’s 3am here now) to call a vet to ask him what I can use to deworm them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.