2 week old not pooping after stimulation!!! Help?!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 2 week old not pooping after stimulation!!! Help?!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Charles Mitchell
    Participant

My good friend has a lot of cats around her house and one of her females had her first litter about two weeks ago. She gave birth to three in a field, one in the house, and my friend had to help her birth three more. The mother killed four of the kittens and my friend ended up giving me two and another went somewhere else. One of them was given to another mutual friend last night who wanted to give it an excellent forever home, so I just have one now. I was just going to keep her for two weeks until my friend graduates but I’m adopting the remaining one.

I have the remaining one on replacement formula (Hartz) and yesterday was the first full day of feeding, but she didn’t get very much because of the nipple. She was consuming less than 0.1 ounces per feeding and way less than the 1 ounce daily. I ripped the nipple opening tonight and made it a little bit bigger and she drank about 0.4 ounces and then she started making this really loud purring noise and went to sleep. I woke her up after about 10 minutes and took a warm, damp paper towel and tried to stimulate her pee/poop areas but she just went back to sleep.

I’m pretty sure she hasn’t pooped since I got her because I haven’t seen any signs of it. I am REALLY worried. I don’t know what’s wrong, if anything, and I don’t know what to do. HELP!!!

jcat
    Participant

Hi, Charles, bless you for looking after that kitten. I will add a link for your friend, she should get her cat spayed if at all possible because a cat who has killed her kittens once may do it again.

First of all, DON’T USE HARTZ! You may be lucky and have no problems with it but you may be very unlucky — some people on here have had very bad experiences with it. Use Kitten Replacement Milk or goats milk (in Walmart and similar supermarkets in cans in the baking aisle, or fresh in the chiller section, or we can give you kitten ‘glop’ recipes) or a similar high-quality milk formula from a vet or good pet store — but not Hartz, please.

This is a great set of videos on bringing up abandoned kittens but it sounds like you’re doing fine on your own…

Also try this thread and the pink tag ‘orphans’ if you’re searching for more info. We will help if we can.

Links for kitten-raising sites, eg Messybeast

Don’t worry too much about no poop yet. The kitten won’t produce much if she’s just on milk and she may have had an empty tum when you got her. Every other day or so is fine. If it starts to get towards three days, you can try diluting her formula a little more and here is our ‘bible’ on constipation.

Chaos’ Guide to Constipation

jcat
    Participant

Here is the article on cats who kill kittens: http://messybeast.com/kill_kit.htm

Messybeast is a wonderful resource for general advice on cats and kittens. It also has a very useful section on problems with raising orphaned kittens. The link is in the ‘links for kitten raising sites’ thread.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Hi Charles! Congratulations on your new kitten and good on your for being a rescuer!! We are here to help you any way we can, so take a deep breath and know that we are here for you. The sites above that JCat gave are awesome for hand rearing kittens. I have used Hartz once, before I knew better with no problems. That being said, I wouldn’t recommend it because of the death rate in kittens after using it. If you can go to a pet store or a TSC (farm and country store) that has KMR or even better (and cheaper) is the goat’s milk. Which I raisied my last kitten almost entirely on and he’s 1 year old this week!! Make sure you keep your kitten warm, keep doing what you are doing and stop back and let us know your progress. We love pics too!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Charlie,
    Welcome to TDK land and concats on your new roomie. Here’s some links we use ourselves:

4 wk old kitten will no longer bottle feed and hasn't started eating wet food

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm
    http://www.safehavenforcats.com/newborn.htm

Chaos’ Guide to Constipation

Let us know if you have any other questions.
    PG

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.