2 week old kittens – diarrhea & metronidazole

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 2 week old kittens – diarrhea & metronidazole

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    imagirlgeek
    Participant

Hi everyone! Well, it’s kitten season again and I have 3 fosters. They have an estimated DOB of 4-7-15 which would make them 16 days old. The first several days were fine. But then the eye infection started. This, I’m used to. Just trying to keep them as clean as possible. Then the diarrhea showed up. Not just loose stools, but watery, bloody diarrhea. We went to the vet on Monday (2 days ago) and the vet gave one of the kittens some fluids, and then prescribed Metronidazole (0.1 ml twice a day) for all 3 kittens. Their appetite has never waned, and I am still feeding them KMR every 2.5 – 3 hours. In fact, they are quick to let me know when it’s time to eat, generally starting to cry about 2 hours after the previous feeding. Anyway, the vet didn’t do a fecal exam, and I didn’t get a diagnosis. Their little bottoms are so sore that it’s an ordeal to help them eliminate. It’s painful for them, I know, but they have got to poo and pee. I’ve given 4 doses of the Metro so far, 1 Monday evening, 2 yesterday, and 1 this morning. My question is….how long before the Metro starts to work? And should I get some probiotics to add to the KMR?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi imagirlgeek,

The metroidazole should be working now. As you said your babies need to pee and poop so call the vet. tomorrow and explain what’s happening. You might add some goat’s milk to the KMR. That’s easier on the tummies.

Let us know how you’re doing
    PG

imagirlgeek
    Participant

Hi PG,
    I was actually going to update today and completely forgot. It’s been a loooong, exhausting week and I think my brain is a little fried at this point because I totally spaced. 😛

It has now been almost 24 hours since the last diarrhea event, and even longer since I’ve seen any blood! *knock on wood* I think the Metro is doing it’s job now. I have even been able to help them eliminate all day today without the screams of discomfort (from them, not me…lol). They are eating enthusiastically and the one who was in the worst shape has put on 17 grams since last night. I’m hoping we are out of the woods at this point, but I’m still treading very lightly. I did buy some feline probiotics, but I don’t think I’ll use them for now. I don’t want to change anything since we seem to be improving. But for the future…where would one buy goat’s milk?

Kittyzee
    Participant

At any grocery in the cold milk section or the baking aisle in cans. Walmart also carries it. The canned is condensed so remember to dilute 1 to 1 with water and store it in the refrigerator. It’s great for kitty tummies and has good flora for their gut!

imagirlgeek
    Participant

Oh! That’s great! I guess since I wasn’t looking for it, I never saw it. I thought I was going to have to trek out to a specialty store. I also didn’t know it comes condensed. I’ll pick up a couple of cans and keep it for next time. It’s been a pretty hectic kitten season so far (already on my 2nd litter), and I have a feeling we are in for a long summer with a lot of orphaned litters down here. Thanks for the info!

Imi
    Participant

Hi imagirlgeek, I now have an exactly same situation as you had been through, and I am wishing if you can update how it went after the Metronidazole…?
    Some people on FB said this medication is extremely dangerous and I should stop using it and ask to switch to the other medication.. But if I can’t trust my vet, how am I going through this heartbreaking painful situation with 5 newborns? They’re 17days old today. Yes, I’ve seen mucusy stinky stool with couple times blood in it.
    They all have a good appetite and one or two seem don not have diarrhea even because their butts are always clean.
    I have searched, and some websites(eq: http://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/metronidazole ) say it should not give for lactating cat or kittens, and I am now very confusing.
    I really appreciate if you can reply asap. 🙂
    Thank you so much in advance!

Imimi

Buttons

hey Imi .. you don’t mention what country hour from I’m from Ireland and I use Parazole which is also available around Britain and Europe I believe it is I think basically the same as metronidazole they both treat the same parasites.. sounds like your dealing with a nasty single celled parasite called giardia .. and I use parazole to treat that in pregnant females and small kittens once they are over 2 weeks old which your little ones are..

so they basic rule for pregnant females and kittens under 6 months of age is very simple it’s 1ml per 2kg body weight so you need to make sure you’ve weighed the little ones accurately and have a food syringe that helps work out the correct dosage so if a little one weighs 1kg then you give 0.5ml if the kitten is 500grams you give the kitten 0.25ml . you do that for 3 days then a break of a week then 3 days again and so on and so on till you’ve given at least three lots of doses .. it is safe to use .. as long as it’s used correctly and it’s safe to use it rather than let the giardia take hold and cause dehydration and lack of neutrient obsorbtion ..
    there will be diarrhoea after each round of dosing .. oh also what’s VERY important is to make sure all bedding is changed once you start dosing and all litter trays are bleach clean and the surrounding area of you don’t do this the giardia will stay in the surrounding area and they will just can’t act it again and again . change out all litter and get brand new clean litter.

also with sickly stomachs Goats milk might be a good idea it will help promote good gut flora and they’ll really need a boost to their digestive system after giardia is present . and other animals that have used the litter trays need to dosed also.. giardia is very contagious and it normally takes 12-14 days to show symptoms in other animals that have been exposed. it can also cause blood in the stool

Imi
    Participant

Hi Buttons,
    Thank you for the reply. 🙂
    Well, on FB cat breeders group page, everyone says Metronidazole is NOT safe, gives brain damage, and had to be weaned at least to madicate with it…
    So I was searching my own, and the more websites say it’s NOT safe for nursing mum cat and kittens that small.

If you can link me some websites which confirm that the drug is safe to use for newborn kittens, please!

I am in Canada, not sure if the other drugs you named are available in here or not. 🙂

Buttons

I’ll see f I can find a link to the “Parazole” liquid wormer I use and my bets use it’s nice a gentle for kittens and puppies I hope you can buy it in Canada I’ll do a little digging for ya

Buttons
    Buttons

so had another look and I can’t seem to find a liquid fenbendazole based wormer in Canada..

but on a more promising note metronidazole in Ireland is called Flagyl and yes I’ve used it for my cats in the past to treat giardia and it really works .. it can be very hard to get a cat to take them as they taste bitter and it’s not unusual for your cat to start drooling and foaming from the mouth straight after taking it because that’s because of its unpleasant taste. I only have two of mine the Flagyl because they were impossible to try and give them the liquid wormer..

I have given Flagyl to kitten as young as 2-3 weeks old however so I would get a second opinion from another vet and ask for a liquid fenbendazole bases wormer it will be a lot safer and easier as this is completely safe for kittens as young as 2 weeks old and puppies than going too

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.