2 Week Old Kitten Not Suckling

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 2 Week Old Kitten Not Suckling

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kerry
    Participant

Got Louie on Thursday as a rescued feral and immediately noticed his strange behaviour – crawling round in circles and generally looking quite sorry for himself. Having to syringe feed into his mouth which is proving difficult and I can only get him to take 4-5ml each feed when he should have about 7ml each feed. Has an ear infection (got antibiotic today) which could explain the circling and feeling crappy. But why won’t he feed properly? Desperate for this wee guy to make it.

Kerry
    Participant

It won’t let me post a pic ????????

UrbanSidhe
    Participant

So, I was new to the bottle feeding experience myself. Please feel free to scroll a bit on the forum to find my panic posts.

Kittens will eat what they will eat. If he’s eating as much as he wants, he’s probably fine. Get a kitchen scale to weigh him daily to make sure he’s gaining weight. If he’s eating, gaining weight and pooping then he’s doing everything he should be doing.

You will need to go to an image upload site then use the URL to post the pic on the forum. You can’t upload images to the forum.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome Terry to TDKland! We’re the furriest forum around. You’re not the first in a panic nor will you be the last. Lots of meowmies come for help and to give advice.

In TDKland, we recommend Goats’ milk for kittens. Cats are lactose intolerant and can’t digest cows milk. Goats’ milk is full of nutrients, probiotics and gentler on their tummies. This can also regulate the poop. You can find it in the dairy section or the concentrate in the baking aisle. Mix the concentrate 1:1 with water or pedylite. If, at any time, they seem lethargic put a dab of Karo syrup or honey in their mouth.

I’m guessing he has a warm snuggly space away from household traffic. If you haven’t already, make a nest for him. He cannot regulate body temperature so he must be kept warm. I think the best way is to place a heating pad, on LOW, covered by a towel and a soft blanket. Be sure to provide a “cool” spot for him to crawl if he gets too warm. I recommend getting him a soft squishy toy and put it in his nest. Wee kits usually snuggle up to the toy. It will give him comfort and extra warmth.

Here’s a video showing how to help him poop. Notice the kit is squirmy and loud because they’re not liking your assistance.

Here’s another link with good information on raising your wee kits:

http://messybeast.com/handrear.htm

Please check in anytime and hopefully we’ll see your wee kit as our TDK.

Good Luck
    PG

Kerry
    Participant

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I am an experienced bottle feeder and have hand reared a good few kittens over the past couple of years. The last one being an hour old when I got her. I know how to feed them, how to stimulate so they toilet and I have a heat pad to keep him and his sister warm. It’s not a case of him just not being hungry as he is struggling at every single feed, although this morning he drank 10ml from the bottle. He is more alert and purring and meowing now – his movements are improving and he seems happier. The antibiotic for his ear infection really must be doing it’s job. He hasn’t gained weight in the past week but I am hoping that will change now he is feeling better.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.