2-3 Week Old Orphan – Question about Heating Pads + Summer Time

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 2-3 Week Old Orphan – Question about Heating Pads + Summer Time

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ashley
    Participant

Hey! I’m a multi-cat owner (all rescues, save for one) and last night I ended up with another. I woke up at about 9am, and went out to clean my yard and there was a howling kitten in our tow-boat in the driveway. We’ve had kittens left in our yard before (our backyard is the neighborhood stray safe-place, I guess), and I’ve always kept my eye on them, but it was never long until the mother cat came back. Usually, the longest one will stay away is just past dark, but this one never came back. I tried so hard to keep the house quiet and wait her out – I put wet food (four cans of fancy feast) in my backyard and sat by the window and waited for hours to see if I could spot a mama cat, but I never did. About 11pm, I made the decision that 14 hours without food was too much, and the baby would be exposed to the neighborhood’s raccoons and oppossums if I didn’t bring it in.
    So I ran out to get formula (which gave the mom an extra half hour to come back – she didn’t, and I also looked for her again today, all over the neighborhood), and I fed little Viktor (I had been calling him Shelly all day, turns out he was a boy) and he ate like a little champ once I finally got the bottle in his mouth and the position right. He did not pee after his first feeding, but I did get him to pee after his second feeding and either before or after every feeding since. He hasn’t pooped yet, but from what I can tell that’s normal after a switch to kitten formula, so I’m gonna wait it out a day or two (until I get into the vet and have him checked out).
    He’s upbeat, he’s energetic and so so so loving (seriously, he’s already the best cuddler in the house and he purrs every single time I reach down in his box to check on him), his pee is a good light yellow and his eyes are open and look healthy – and the set of lungs on this little tiny bug is rediculous – but he only cries when he wakes up hungry or during stimulation (and with the later, it’s more of a low, cute mew until he finally pees).
    Right now, I have the air off in my house and it’s about 79-80 degrees – i also have a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel in his little box. However, when I put him back in the box and lay him near the hot water bottle, he instantly moves to the cooler side and plops back down. So, my question is: Do I need to put a heading pad in or under his box or is he telling me that he’s already warm enough and that would make him overly warm?
    Thank you in advance for any help and/or advice – I’m just overly paranoid and cautious because we lost a kitty earlier this year (she was a rescue, nine years old, had a bad heart since birth and it just went out) so i’m still in the mode where I check the babies every half-hour while they’re napping to make sure they’re breathing, lol.

Buttons

If your house temps at above 70f I do t think you need the heat pads.. Just cosy blankets will do.. 🙂

You did everything right when taking this little fella in.. He may not produce stool for 3-4 days especially if he didn’t eat for 14+ hours before you fed him also as you said change in food can cause constipation or diarrhea .. Goats milk /goats milk yogurt tends to help settle a stomach and add good flora gut to his digestive system .. Something that’s normally lacking in kittens not receiving mothers milk.. 🙂

Ashley
    Participant

Thank you so much for responding! I looked everywhere, but I found a lot of varied information about heating pads. And do you mean goats milk/yougurt in addition to, or mixed into the formula? I will definitely give that a try with the little bug. If it’s mixed in, what ratio of formula to goats milk do you suggest?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Ashley, you can substitute the goat’s milk entirely instead of the KMR, or you could alternate goat’s milk, then KMR. I raised my kitten on it almost entirely and it kept him healthy with no constipation or diarrhea. I don’t know where you live, but it needs to be pasteurized. It can be found in the States at Walmart in the baking aisle in cans (in other stores too) it’s condensed so you add some water and in the fresh milk cooler in Walmart or other grocery stores.

Ashley
    Participant

I’m in Indy, so I can definitely grab some from Walmart – I definitely wanna do all I can to keep this little guy healthy, I’m already really attached to him.

I also have one more question – I’ve been stimulating him to pee, and he pees a little bit every time… but he just mewed at me, and when I looked over at him he had peed on the tshirt of mine I gave him to lay on (he was being extra fussy, I couldn’t figure out why, he kept falling asleep against my chest while we were cuddling, and when I would transfer him to his box, he’d wake up and fire up his lungs, tshirt worked in 30 seconds flat, lol). Is it bad that he just peed on his own so early, or is that normal? Is it because I didn’t get enough out of him when I was doing it or is that a sign of a problem or is it normal? I’m not 100% sure on his age, so maybe he’s older than I think?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Ashley,

If wee Viktor is moving away from the hot water bottle just provide him with blankets (I prefer “kneadable” baby blankets”). It’s a good thing he’s learned to pee on his own and if you think he’s 4 wks or older you might introduce him to the litter box. The reason I say this is you don’t want him associating your clothing with a litter box. Also, Do not use clumping litter because kittens like to eat it. Speaking of eating, try giving him a bit of wet food and see if he eats it. I hope this helps you
    Good Luck

Ashley
    Participant

Hey Pussigato,
    He does have baby blankets – soft, thick nap blankets that kind of feel like cat fur layered on top of soft towels, and another of my t-shirts, of course… Not for him to potty on, but to sleep on. He was refusing to sleep yesterday unless I was holding him so I gave him the shirt and he went to sleep on it within seconds.
    I don’t think he’s four weeks yet. My initial guess was two weeks because he is so small and his ears were still folded slightly. But when I woke up today his ears were fully open and standing up like big cat ears (I was so excited that his ears were up), so I believe him to be about three weeks old. And that’s a relief, knowing he had about three weeks of mama’s milk. He’s also gained about an ounce since I brought him in and he’s walking better, still wobbly on his feet, but he’s standing not crawling. He’s also super playful today and sleeping slightly less. He also no longer sleeps in a tiny, curled up ball. He now sleeps stretched out on his back/side with his arms and legs stretched out as far as he can reach (strangely, that’s the exact position all of my other cats sleep in), so I think he’s decided that he’s safe and this is his home.
    He did pee on his own again, on the very opposite corner of the box from where he always sleeps, so I’m fairly certain it wasn’t an accident since it appears he got up and peed as far away from his “bed” as possible. (I cleaned him and changed his bedding as soon as I saw it). I’m going to find him a very shallow litter box, so he can pee when he needs to in between feedings/stimulation. I did not know that kittens ate clumping litter, so thank you for that. Do you have any recommendations as far as brands? I always use clumping with my big kids, but they’re very, very picky with their litter and will refuse to go in the boxes if I get a brand they don’t like.
    Also, I can see little bumps where his teeth are about to break through (which explains why he keeps gnawing on my finger and the bottle nipple and the blankets and towels and his toys and everything – i should have realized why sooner), and once those come through, I’m going to start mixing some wet kitten food into his formula.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.