19 day old kitten with crusted eye

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 19 day old kitten with crusted eye

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rachael Taylor
    Participant

Ok the babies I’ve been overseeing are doing so amazing over the last week. No more need of supplementing and KMR and even surpassing every milestone.
    Yesterday at their daily weigh in two had a dry stuck eye. I used my handy dandy first aid kit gauze and some warm water to slightly soak and clear away the tiny bit of gunk. For one it worked great and she hasn’t had a problem since.
    The other it hasn’t, I have to do it at least 3-4 times a day to get it to open up.
    It’s not red or swollen just dry and stuck closed until I do the procedure.
    Is this a take in before their scheduled first vet visit thing? I’d ask my vet but he is notoriously unresponsive about all of my questions lately

Kittyzee
    Participant

I don’t know when you are taking them in, but he might benefit from a course of antibiotics and some eye drops. I still have a kitten under a year, who seems to always have a runny eye. He’s been on antibiotics and two kinds of drops, but it just always seems to come back. Just keep the fur around the eye wiped clean–I use a washcloth with warm water–so the fur isn’t stained around the eye. Use your own judgement about your vet, or find another one. 😉

Rachael Taylor
    Participant

They go in at 5 weeks for hopefully their first round of baby shots. They went in with mom at one week but that was just to make sure everything was going swell for the newbs.
    He didn’t even weigh them Bc he said I was doing it well myself and didn’t want to stress anyone out. Yeah, that’s what I’m doing but with sterile gauze instead of a wash rag.
    I didn’t even know I didn’t have to boil their water for their KMR lol. I was doing what I’d do for my human babies.
    I keep being told I’m a helicopter kitty mom but dang it they’re so tiny I don’t want to take a single chance

Kittyzee
    Participant

You are doing a wonderful job, and if it takes being a helicopter kitty mom to get the job done and have peace of mind–then so be it! You gotta do what you gotta do to make sure these little ones make it. Nothing worse than having them all fed, wiped clean, and nestled in their beds and you go off and try and get some sleep–when a doubt pops in your head and you have to get up and go check on them. It’s just like having human babies! 😆

Rachael Taylor
    Participant

Omg, it’s all the time. The hubby even tells me to chill out Bc the moment they get vocal, or mom does I’m shooting up out of bed haha.
    I changed my entire sleep schedule to fit theirs… basically means I don’t really sleep.
    I know it’s probable to lose one or even a few but I have to know I did anything I could to not…even if that means no sleep and heartache.
    They’re my babes, every single one. They all are mine no homes needed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.