14 WEEK OLD KITTEN, BLOODY MUCUS IN STOOL – HELP?!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Purrs 14 WEEK OLD KITTEN, BLOODY MUCUS IN STOOL – HELP?!

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    glitzyangel
    Participant

Hi I have just joined the forum and am in need of some advice. myself and my boyfriend got our female kitten minnie at 8 weeks. shes now almost 14 weeks. the past few days (last 3) i have noticed after she passes her stools something i can describe no other eay than a blob of mucus and blood is passed which as lovely as she is is wiping on my floor. she is still her crazy active self, there are no worms in her stools but they are slightly more pale than normal. she is eating whiskers kitten pouches and we have tried her on jelly and gravy with dry whiskers kibbles

i switched her back to jelly a few days back and am wondering if this is responsible. she has had all her injections now and we have given her worming tablets but worried these may not be good enough quality as they were bought from the pet shop ( ii have a vet quality one for her next tablet which is due on the 8th August).

she weighs 900g at last weigh in (monday) and has bright eyes and not lethargic.

i called the vet and they told me to bring her in but am working the next two days and dont know if it can wait until next week. please help.

Amy

Buttons

I’ll start by saying im not a vet but i have had similar experiences as i have rescue cats. When was it exactly when you gave her the wormer? In a young kitten that has recently been wormer and it has bloody mucusy stool for only a day or two and is otherwise healthy happy playing and importantly stll eating and drinking it is probaby detached worms in the bowl.

The wormer takes effect killing the worms that have.attached themselves to the intestine and bowl walls. When they detach there may be a minute ammount of blood which gathers in the stool but after worming this should only occur in one or two stool samples. If it continues get to a vet or if she goes off her food.

You may find when you wormer her in august that this wont happen again as there maybe no more attached worms left in her system

Good luck and remember the most important thing SPAY her at 5 months and regularly worm ever 2 to 3 months especially if she has access to the out doors or other cats

glitzyangel
    Participant

so it may just be the wormer working? we wormed her on the 8th July though. should it be affecting her now?

she is definitely okay in herself haha. and have booked in for the snip!

Buttons

If it was a store bought wormer it could be possible like you said it might not be the best kind and takes longer to kill off the worms. I’d keep an eye on her but i think its just the worms detatching. It also happens in cats that havent been wormed when the worms die off after the natural life span it will cause mucusy bloody stool and as certain worms (ie. Hookworm) all have the same life.span certain conolies of them will die off naturaly all at the same time. Mayb the wormer didnt have any effect at all and its just a case of the worms natural death cycle. Stick to the vet wormer and flea treatments from on i’d say.

ecbrown
    Participant

When this happened with one of our newly adopted kittens, it was coccidia, a common parasite in kittens. If I recall correctly, it is not killed by standard dewormers and needs a specific med to kill it. Our vet diagnosed it with a stool sample and some meds took care of it. Good luck.

Buttons

Ecbrown that is a possibility coccidia is a common parasite but as far as i know vets will normally onky test if the bloody stool is an ongoing problem . I think if it only happens once or twice its more than likely detaching worms.

If it continues i would definately recommend a vet visit if your kitten was coccidia positive then your vet could recommend using a product called “kocci free’ which is effective at getting rid of coccidia but if your kitten has access to other cats they migjt well need to be treated too coccidia is easily passed from cat to cat and dogs.can get it too

glitzyangel
    Participant

Right okay.

We got her from a lady who had a few pets so she may have this other worm, but we’ve been worming her since we had her on a two weekly basis so surely she would have been bleeding constantly since we had her if she’d picked up that worm. Since she’s been living with me she has no contact with any other animals.

My mum said I would see the worms in the stool/blood/around her bum but I haven’t? So does that mean they are still in there?

It seems to have happened suddenly since we changed her food back to jelly. i don’t know if this is just a coincidence. She also had her second round of injections on Monday, and this started Tuesday – but again maybe a coincidence.

Am I okay to leave the dewormer until the next time she needs it (8th August) and will I be okay to leave her until Monday before taking her to the vet?

She honestly seems fine in herself – not a care in the world! I find it very strange. I’ve had a cat before (all my life) but this is my first kitten and the first cat I have had personally. So I want to protect her!

ecbrown
    Participant

I don’t believe coccidia is actually a worm, but another type of parasite. And, no, you won’t always see worms in the poop when a cat has worms. I’m pretty sure coccidia is only seen through a microscope. Kittens often get parasites from their moms and are born with them, so the other pets may not be to blame. And my Leo was also playful and did not seem ill when he had coccidia. In his case, it was not an emergency but did need treatment from the vet to get rid of it.

But you are right, there could be a number of causes…upset from food change and such. If it continues I’d ask the vet about coccidia though.

glitzyangel
    Participant

Thanks so much for your help. I will give her over the weekend and see how she is. If it is what you say how will they fix her? Is this kind of thing covered under pet insurance? (sorry if i am asking dumb questions)

Jeankit
    Participant

Contact your vet and/or ask an on-line vet

Another vet link:

http://www.Pet.JustAnswer.com

Buttons

Ecbrown your spot on coccidia is’nt a worm its a single celled parasite. And as you’ve said worms arent always visible in stool. Im sure the vet would perscribe an antibiotic dewormer combo med to get rid of the coccidia as ot can be a persistant little bugger!

Ask your vet about a product/med called “kocci free” i think that the best stuff on the market to get rid of the coccidia.

I dont think it would be covered by insurance unless it was an ongoing problem and you went over your access at thr end of the year but i dont see that being an issue here.

Good luck with it all.

glitzyangel
    Participant

Thanks so much for all your help. I will give it until sunday/monday and am on a decent shift monday so can take her then if it is persisting.

Little buggers these worms/parasites! the fleas were bad enough! haha x

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.