13 wk kitten still doesn't understand what poop and pee is

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 13 wk kitten still doesn't understand what poop and pee is

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lindsay
    Participant

I took in an abandoned kitten when she was 4 days old. She’s now 13 weeks old and still won’t use the litter box. 😥 I’ve read numerous articles, blogs, you name it, on different suggestions from putting the kitten in the litter box after naps, playtime, eating, etc., to dragging the kittens paw in the litter box, using my own finger to scratch the litter while the kitten watches, purchased Kitten Attract along with different brand litters, used shallow litter boxes to get in and out of easily, put urine on a cotton ball along with a piece of her fresh poop in the litter box….have tried everything!

If she happens to be standing in a litter box while playing and has the urge to go, she will go in the box, but takes off running as soon as she’s finished. She doesn’t use her back legs or front to try and cover it, she’s out the gate like a racehorse when she is done going.

She has no concept of what urine or poop is, because she walks right through it and keeps walking through it like nothing. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve had to bathe her paws covered is urine and fresh poop. I’ve kept her in a crate with a litter box in there, but she pees next to it or even in her bed. Her litter has never been used, i could pick it up with my hands because its still clean. Of course if she does happen to pee/poop in the litter, I clean it immediately.

So, i’ve had to keep her outside with a litter box. If she happens to be playing in the grass when she has to go, then thats where she goes, but for the most part she pees right on my back steps and also poops there as well. After she’s done she walks through it back and forth until its flat as a pancake, looking through my slider glass to try and come in. I’ve had to clean so much poop off my slider door. I know very soon she will start exploring beyond my back patio, so I would like her to be an indoor cat until she’s at least a year. Also, because she’s pooping and peeing all over my patio, it now reeks of cat urine, and I’ve caught my next door neighbors 2 year old neutered cat spraying all over my patio and my daughters playhouse. Please HELP!!!!

Kittyzee
    Participant

One question I have is is the litter plain unscented non clumping? Lots of times cats will not use litter that is highly scented. You have done everything that I would recommend already. Sorry you are having these problems. Be careful leaving outside as she can become prey for predators and become pregnant too.

Lindsay
    Participant

Hi kittyzee, yes, I only purchase unscented litter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.