11 Day Old Sickly Kittens

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 11 Day Old Sickly Kittens

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Marly
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m new here, but for the past 11 days I’ve been religiously reading the posts in the chat to help with these little kittens I rescued.

On January 18th an office cat outside my sister’s work had kittens. This was her fourth litter of kittens by the office. A neighboring woman decided the best time to trap the cat to be spayed would be right after she gave birth to her kittens. The mother grabbed one kitten and ran off, leaving three behind. By late evening the kittens had not been moved, fed, etc. by the mother cat since she had run off. The temp was supposed to be chilly so my sister picked up the babies and brought them to me.

I got them with umbilical cord still attached, and presumably without mom’s first milk. I’ve been bottle feeding since day one, with KMR. Originally the kittens were looking great, eating, using the restroom regularly when stimulated, and sleeping well.

On day 6 I brought the kittens to the vet to check on their progress and he said they were doing well. The boy had some diarrhea and I alerted the vet and he said I shouldn’t be worried because sometimes the KMR can have that affect. I took them home, took a short nap, and when I went to feed them again, discovered the one boy had passed. It was devastating.

On day 7, one of the girls girls began to to have diarrhea. In a panic I took them to the ER. They gave both girls dewormer and then gave #1 fluids under the skin. It was recommended I mix in a teaspoon of Pedialyte in with their formula to ensure they’re not dehydrated.

On day 9, both girls were taken back to my normal vet due to constipation and girl #2’s eye looked sealed (it previously did not look like this). The vet once again said they were fine, the eye was fine, and sent me home. That night girl #2’s eye began leaking a great deal of thick white fluid. I rushed them off again to the ER. The doctor was immediately worried because they had distended bellies. I explained there had been diarrhea that was followed by the constipation. She was able to stimulate some poo, but not much. She also put fluids under the skin of girl #2 and gave me antibiotics for her eye. She recommended I purchase Karo syrup and place 1 to 2 drops per bottle in order to promote restroom use.

It is currently day 11. I am exhausted beyond belief. I am caring for them alone, feeding and stimulating every two hours. I am doing everything I can to ensure they’re kept healthy and happy.

Currently girl #2 with the rough eye has been temporarily ‘Complicated’ (she is not a fan of bottle bottle feeding, stimulation, etc.) and #1 is ‘Simple’ (loves bottle feeding, water, vet visits, etc.)

Complicated’s eye is doing better, but she hasn’t pooed in 24 hours now. I am concerned since they are receiving Karo syrup shouldn’t there be some response? She also makes some very weird noises in her belly right after feeding (almost like tummy grumbling but I’ve never heard that in a cat before).

Simple is also doing a bit better, but again, hasn’t pooed. Should I be taking my girls to the vet again to see if they can make them poo? Should I be concerned about the grumbly tummy noises?

Sorry for the crazy long post. I just wanted to ensure all the details were out there. I also haven’t really been able to talk to anybody about the craziness, because no one understands! Thanks so much for all of the help and advice, I really appreciate it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Marly,

Welcome to TDKland. We’re the furriest forum around.

Thanks to you and your sister for rescuing these wee kits. Without you, they had no chance. Hopefully, you can find and trap the mother, too. It sounds as if they are doing better. Complicated’s eye is getting better with the meds. To have one of each temperament is common.

I am going to start you from the beginning:

If you haven’t already, make a nest for them. Kittens cannot regulate their body temperature so they must be kept warm. I think the best way is to place a heating pad, on LOW, covered by a towel and a soft blanket. Be sure to provide a “cool” spot for the kittens to crawl if they get too warm.

Here in TDKland, we recommend Goats’ milk for kittens. Cats are lactose intolerant and can’t digest cows milk. Goats’ milk is full of nutrients, probiotics and gentler on their tummies. This can also regulate their poop. You can find it in the dairy section or the concentrate in the baking aisle. Mix the concentrate 1:1 with water or pedilyte. If, at any time, they seem lethargic put a dab of Karo syrup or honey in their mouth. Sometimes this is all they need to give them the added energy boost to get them eating. It’s not meant to make them poop. Please don’t give them sweet stuff all the time just if they need an energy boost.

Wee kits don’t always poop everyday. Start massaging her stomach for a bit before you potty him every time. I won’t tell someone to not take their kit/cat to the vet. If they haven’t pooped in another day, call the vet and see if they think you should bring them in.

Now the tough news – Fading Kitten Syndrome (FKS). FKS isn’t a very well defined syndrome. It’s also called failure to thrive. It’s something that usually happens within the first two weeks of life. It can come from environmental factors, such as maternal neglect, or it can be physical, such as congenital birth defects, low birth weight, anemia. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try the wee kits just don’t make it and that’s what I believe happened to the guy.

I hope you can find some information that will help you.

Good Luck
    PG

Marly
    Participant

My vet was the one who directed the Karo syrup so I didn’t know that.

Yes the little ones both have separate nests, since they were having issues suckling one each other.

Both still haven’t pooed, and if they haven’t by tomorrow afternoon I am to run them by my vets office.

Complicated feels very fragile compared to her sister. She also shakes a lot more. She’s warm and her body temp is right where it’s supposed to be so I wasn’t sure if this was a sign of anything else.

I’ll look and see if I can find some goat’s milk to try for them.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m sorry Marly. I didn’t realize she was trembling as well. Her trembling can result from dehydration, fever, or shock.

After more research and since Complicated isn’t eating she could be trembling from hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. Your vet said to administer Karo syrup as needed so please do it. As a general rule, sweet stuff can cause spikes in glucose levels. Hopefully Complicated will eat normally and the trembling stops.

I know it’s difficult to get her to eat and/or drink but try a syringe with plain Pedialyte.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.