11 day old kittens with diarrhea!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 11 day old kittens with diarrhea!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Clarissa
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m new here and appreciate all of the advice I’ve been reading on these forums. My cat had 5 kittens eleven days ago. 3 are doing great but 2 are lagging behind and are smaller. A couple of days ago the smaller ones developed runny yellow poop which stinks alot! and gets over everything. I’ve called the vet and they can’t do anything because the kittens are so young. I asked about pediatlyte but they said no and I feel that they aren’t being helpful enough. The mother is feeding them (she is a first time mom and didn’t know what to do but neither did we so I’ve been going google crazy). My main concern is how horrible the diarrhea smells because that really worries me. Momma cat isn’t cleaning them much either. To make matters worse, we leave for vacation on Saturday for a week and the kittens will be checked on by my inlaws. Help please!?

JerseyJoan

Hi Clarissa – I don’t have first hand knowledge with yellow poop, but till someone stops by who does, type “yellow poop” in the search box. I just did and there were several threads with that concern. Hopefully something in there will be of some help.
    Sorry you have to leave them when they are so young, but hope you have a wonderful vacation! Please keep us posted, and best of luck.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_resources/diarrhea.cfm

I would say monitor them until then, observe if they eat or don’t, if they seem in pain or weak, etc. when they r just born their bodies need to adjust to the new environment but it usually goes away. Did u change formula or r they drinking mums milk.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/home-remedies-for-cats-with-diarrhea.htm

See if these tips help 😉

Clarissa
    Participant

They are drinking from their mom. I’m just so worried about them.

Kittyzee
    Participant

If I were you I would supplement their diet with goat’s milk found in the baking aisle at Walmart in cans or fresh cold milk section also. It has lots of good bugs for their gut and may help with the diarrhea. They may need the extra nutrition also, and you could add a little pedialyte to the goats milk too. Especially if you feel they are dehydrated. A lot of vets don’t know that much about hand rearing/ or really small kittens. People here do, so you came to the right place. Hopefully, you can get them turned around before you leave on vacation. I would be a nervous wreck about leaving them (that’s just me) with a first time mom. Some take to it naturally, others need your help.

jcat
    Participant

Hi, Clarissa, you’ve got some great advice above, especially from Kittyzee. I would just add that really smelly stools can often indicate giardia or coccidia, two nasty parasites, that can be dealt with by a vet when they’re a bit older (take stool samples for testing). If they are drinking from their mum and she is healthy, that is the best you can do for them, and it’s a good idea to feed mum with some wet kitten food, that will provide her with the nutrients she needs to pass on to them in her milk. Is mum free of parasites, do you know?

Clarissa
    Participant

I’m not sure if mom has any or not, she came as a stray right before she got pregnant and we couldn’t get her fixed or anything then because we just paid for our dogs to get all their shots. I really think she got pregnant the first or second day here because the one neighborhood Tom cat was around and surprise, surprise 2 look just like him! Mom is eating Kitten Chow with a little wet adult food mixed in. It seems like the diarrhea has subsided somewhat and now they are pooping less. One may be a little constipated because he cries when he’s pooping. Their behinds look a little sore too. They all looked better last night and today and just in the last day they have become so much more responsive to our touch! It’s so cute! They purr when we rub them and roll on their backs. I just love them to so much. It’s going to be hard leaving them for a week.

Clarissa
    Participant

Oh and I miscounted how old they are. Today they are 11 days old! 😳

Kittyzee
    Participant

Gee thanks Jcat! 🙂 Clarissa, I would still try some goat’s milk, it’s cheap and it will fill them with good bugs in their gut, especially when you won’t be there for a while. Keep us posted on their progress!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.