10 yrs later, WHERE were you on 9-11-01?

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum General Chat 10 yrs later, WHERE were you on 9-11-01?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    mollycat71
    Participant

I thought it might be interesting to hear everyone’s story about how, when and where they were on 9-11-01? I find everyone’s stories so fascinating, yet similar, we all agree that something huge was lost that day. Not just the lives, but our innocence and our feeling of being safe in this world.

I was going to work that morning, beautiful late summer morning. I was listening to NPR, had an hour drive to work. I remember them discussing it was ‘Emergency Professionals Day’ and I thought “how cool, 9-11, Emergency Professionals Day”! When I got to work we had the radio on and I was working at the computer when they cut in and said the WTC had been hit. At first I didn’t believe it then it started to sink in. My business partner and I ran to find a TV and there it was, shocking and scary. All he kept saying was “Firefighting ladders only go 12 stories up, those people are dead!” I imagined the horror and fear those people had to be feeling and I started to cry. Then the next Tower was hit, the Pentagon and then the plane down in PA. It became surreal and I sat glued to my seat and the TV. I was numb, I know America had changed that morning.

I sat and wondered, what next? where? who could do such a horrible thing to innocent people? None of it made sense and as I would learn over the next few days, months and years, there are still some questions without answers. I am thankful I lost no one close to me that day but we all lost our fellow Americans and that hurt. We continue to lose them to this day due to our military continuing to fight for our freedoms (thank you!) and our first responders who are dying from strange “cancers/disorders” from the dust of Ground Zero. I pray that we have learned something from that awful day but I just don’t know. I pray for everyone’s safety this weekend and I will keep all the families who have lost or those milatary families who are seperated. No matter what people say, the USA is strong and we will overcome!

ecbrown
    Participant

I was teaching first grade at a public school in Gainesville, FL. My principal came in and whispered the news to me as I was teaching a reading group. I guess he hand delivered the news to everyone. There isn’t much time to check the news when you are teaching, so the full weight of the event didn’t sink in til after school when I could catch up on the news.

When I saw the photo of George Bush’s aid delivering the news to him, I couldn’t believe it. He was sitting in front of a reading group configured the same way as mine, using the same reading program. (He was visiting a school that morning.) The aid came in from the same position, same side as my principal and whispered it in his ear. Such an eerie similarity in the way we both found out.

MaryLynnVa
    Participant

I had come home from work and fed the animals, then talked to my husband who was working in Delaware. A few minutes after that I was playing on the computer, when he called me back and said, “Turn on the TV, breaking news!” I turned on CNN and just stared at the smoking ruins of the first tower. “What is going on?” he asked me and told him a plane had just hit the World Trade Center. “Oh my God, it’s true. Someone just told me and I didn’t believe it! They told us to shut down work, I’ll call you back.” (He was doing maintenance on cable lines.) I sat transfixed for the next couple hours and watched the horror go from bad to worse.

Siobhan
    Participant

I had taken the day off to go shopping with my boss on the eastern side of the state. We saw planes leaving the skies, and thought it odd, but didn’t turn on the radio.

We had NO IDEA what had gone on, until almost 1 p.m. I called my husband on the way back, and he was FRANTIC. First assumptions were that all big cities were targets, and here I was, going toward northern Detroit.

I can’t imagine how my husband worried! I had no clue. Even when we were at lunch and tv’s were on in the restaurant, we still were far enough away to not know what was going on, and the staff didn’t say.

I haven’t been able to watch the reality movies about that day yet. Maybe I can this weekend.

I had a Tarot conference in Chicago the weekend after 9/11 that was postponed another 6 months. I remember we went to the Michigan Ren Faire the weekend after 9/11 just for something completely different than sitting and watching the tv. It was kinda subdued, and people were hugging each other.

I’m surprised at how vivid my memory is, and how vivid MC and EC’s recollections are. The detail, excruciating detail.

Emma
    Participant

I was working at my computer and our group secretary, Martha Jane, came into my cubicle to tell me about the first plane hitting the World Trade Center. “Terrible accident!” and we both went back to work.

When Martha Jane told me the second plane hit another tower, I said in a loud voice, “We’re at war.” I called my director and said our group was coming into his office to listen to the radio.

The office followed me down the hall — we were all running — when we heard the drone of planes above us.

Pilots were being told to land at the nearest airport, and these great planes were everywhere, dropping out of the sky into the small local airport across the street from us.

And we were at war.

mollycat71
    Participant

I also remember my mom and sister had just taken off for Louisville for the day to do some winery tour and sight seeing stuff. I called to let them know. My sister blew me off and said “oh we’ll check it out later on the news, I am sure it is no big deal”. Later when they arrived in Louisville people stood in horror with mouths agape. They then realized I wasn’t joking and they immediately went home.

I saw FF Monday for lunch and he absolutely, positively DID NOT want to talk about 9-11. He just can’t and won’t. He is terribly moved and disturbed by losing so many FF “brothers” that day. I have no idea why but when he said that it hit me, if a terror attack hit Chicago that means he goes into service and that really hit me hard. 🙁

JerseyJoan

School was in session on that beautiful cloudless day. When we heard about the first plane, it was assumed it was a small one, then heard it was full sized and another had hit the other tower, another hit the Pentagon and we were under attack. Internet and cell phone service went down; dust landed on cars and other surfaces. The district received a bomb threat and we spent most of the afternoon at the far end of the campus. Though many children’s parents work in NYC, not one was lost.

I knew a flight attendant on flight 93. I just saw Lorraine Bay’s picture on tv the other evening. Jeremy Glick was from the town I live in. Today there is a scenic hiking trail named for him. There is a memorial at town hall for the citizens in the town lost that day.

Father Mychal Judge, the first official casualty, was originally in the town I live in before he left for NYC. I’ll never get that picture of him out of my head.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Deleted for excessive unfluffiness, sorry

AZDEBRA 5/27 & crew
    Participant

Putting on my shoes to go for a walk I was sitting on the end of my bed that morning watching the news and seeing the very first indications that the plane was flying into the tower. Couldn’t move from that spot for hours just watching the whole thing 🙁 Now the day is a day for prayers of those who lost their lives and their families

Kit
    Participant

I was in 10th grade and I was taking a health occupations class and my teacher said “oh my god a plane hit one of the twin towers!” So I came over and we both thought it was a small plane but we were trying to find more information. Then the school went on lock down and the principle wouldn’t let us turn the TVs on to watch because he didn’t want anyone freaking out. The first teacher let us use the computers though because she disagreed but the news sites were clogged and we couldn’t get through. Then the second teacher did the same thin because he taught journalism and said we needed to see and understand, that we deserved to know what was happening and we managed to get on CNN live on one computer and we watched the towers fall…I remember being at band practice a day or two after that and thinking how strange it was to not have any contrails in the sky and to not hear the planes while we were practicing.

sunnysmommy
    Participant

I worked in Boston at the time and remember a coworker coming in and telling us what happened and just staring at her in complete disbelief. Then immediately going online to see what was happening. We were then sent home as they didn’t know if Boston could be a target. I got home to find my husband and his friend passed out on the couches completely clueless as to what was going on. His friend was a state trooper from CT and was getting calls to go into work but was so hung-over he couldn’t even function. I remember being so disgusted with both of them. I spent the rest of the day sitting on the couch just staring at the TV in complete disbelief. About 5 years ago, we moved to NY and now my husband works in NYC and I’m so scared for him because I have friends who lost so much on that day. Living in Boston, I was distanced from it but now living closer to it, I can’t even fathom what it was like.

I was at work and listening to my radio. The song was taken off mid-play and I knew immediately something bad had happened, just didn’t know what. They said a plane had hit one of the twin towers. My first thought was a small plane, never a jet. I called my mom and she was crying and said it was awful and that a second plane had hit and I knew. We all listened on my radio and then the news about the Pentagon (we had folks that were supposed to be at a meeting there that day but it had been postponed). A gal I work with, her sister works there, she was on the other side of the building (on the toilet!) when it hit. We found a TV in the conference room and watched the towers fall. We said a prayer and we all left. It was so eerie outside. I work, literally, between the two main runways at BWI and live in a flight path. It was so eerie not to see and hear planes. Live fairly close to DC so heard the F16’s for over a month. Our agency lost one person, he was on one of the planes (don’t remember which, thing it was American).

I have been avoiding a lot of the “do you remember” stuff. I will never forget. We should never forget and I doubt we will. I’ve been weepy, remembering. Part of me wants to watch and part of me doesn’t. Part of me thinks we should see those images daily so we don’t forget why we are fighing Al-Quaida.

lisaeylau
    Participant

I was asleep, I was freelancing then, and often worked until the wee hours and slept til 10 am. My phone rang early, and it was my mom, who said, “Lis, you need to get up and turn on the TV, one of the WTC towers has been hit by a plane, and so has the Pentagon. The world is on fire!”

I got to the TV just in time to see the first tower collapse. I looked at Misty (she was a baby) and said, “Well beautiful, I guess this changes everything. Nothing will ever be the same. And mommy can forget vacation.” (I was leaving the next day for Pawley’s Island SC).

And I was right. I cried for days.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry about the cranky post earlier, if anyone saw it before it went poof. This is a hard subject for me, since living where I do & working in the business I’m in I never really get to “forget”.

Everything I have to say about that day is in this thread: http://www.dailykitten.com/chat/topic/8191

In a weird convoluted way, I probably never would have gotten together with Mr. K if that day hadn’t happened, but I still wish it had never happened.

gini
    Participant

I was in middle school. Some teachers found out about what was going on, but the general consensus became “don’t tell the kids, it’s their parents job”. Of course word slipped out, but since no teachers were allowed to let us know what was going on, rumors were flying out of control. My classmates were saying that Philadelphia was being bombed and that there were explosions everywhere (I lived about 10 min from philly). About 30% of the parents of my classmates came in to school, picked up their kids mid day, and took them home. They put our school under lock down mode and we stayed in one classroom. I was in my science classroom and my teacher decided we should know what was going on and he told us that planes had crashed into buildings in New York. The principal sent us home with a letter for our parents saying it is up to them whether or not they tell us what is going on and ways to deal with grief etc. Eventually the school went out of ‘lock down’ mode, but they cancelled classes so we all got to hang out in the cafeteria or other classrooms or hallway with friends until the buses came (it seems strange that they didn’t want to tell us what was going on but they cancelled middle school classes – it is obvious to us that something was up and by the end of the day most students figured out the true story)

Arcalian
    Participant

At the time I was living in Montgomery county, which is the northeastern neighbor to Chester county, where I live now. I was working two different jobs in the nearest mall. I bicycled up the hill to work, and at an intersection, the van next to me had their windows down, and I heard radio chatter about “a plane hitting a tower.” I assumed that there had been an accident at an airort, with a plane hitting a tower or something like that.

So I get to the first job, a video arcade (remember them? God I feel old) and opened up. My first customer of the day told me about the attacks, and my reaction was “WHAT?!?”

Most of the morning was spent listening to the radio about the attacks. In the afternoon I went to my second job, a pharmacy/convenience store, and the mall was closing down around us. The boss was shouting down the phone to the corporate HQ in Rhode Island that the mall was closing and there were no customers. It took him about 20 minutes to convince them to let us go. Clueless idiots.

This being Pennsylvania, there was a lot of coverage of Flight 93’s heroic sacrifice, and there was some speculation at the time that the plane was meant to hit Three Mile Island, a nuclear plant.

When I got home, there were lots of emails from a list I was on then, everybody checking in. “Oh my god, what happened to so and so?” that sort of thing. I still have most of them.

I don’t have money to spare these days. But when I did, I gave to the flight 93 memorial.

Here a link from yahoo, an astronaut in space that day:

http://news.yahoo.com/astronaut-in-space-during-attacks-shares-unique-footage-of-9-11.html

gini
    Participant

The night that NYC had the car bomb that failed last year I was a block or two away playing games at Dave and Busters completely oblivious to what was going on. It’s scary how close you can get to acts of terrorism sometimes when you think it’ll never happen to you (not that I can even begin to compare being blocks from something that didn’t even explode to the tragedy of 9/11, but it reminded me of that)

feral
    Participant

I was at home,watching t.v. with a kitty on my lap (I can’t remember which one one). And when they aired the emergency announcement, I jumped up & the motion threw poor kitty across the room. It was hard to fathom it happening. Ikept seeing it but couldn’t believe my eyes. I was sure it was the beginning of Armagedden.

roxysmommy
    Participant

I was a junior in high school and 9-11 happened to be the birthday of a good friend. Our circle had brought in homemade stuff to eat to celebrate the birthday during lunch that day. We even convinced one of out favorite teachers to let us hang out in a spare classroom so we weren’t in the noisy lunch room. The block before lunch is called seminar (study hall) and I was roaming the hallways when I noticed it was unusually quiet in all of the classrooms and everyone was transfixed to the TV’s. I peaked my head in my history teacher’s class and looked up at the TV just in time to see the second plane hit the WTC. By the time the bell rang for lunch time, my brother (who was a freshman) had managed to find me and I just remember still sitting in that empty classroom with our friends, eating cupcakes and feeling like a schmuck. Here we were, eating sweets, safe and sound in our school…and yet there were unspeakable horrors happening on the East Coast. It’s amazing how lives can change in a nanosecond.

AZDEBRA 5/27 & crew
    Participant
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.