10 week old kitten sick. Does she need an emergency appointment?

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 10 week old kitten sick. Does she need an emergency appointment?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Reilley
    Participant

Hi,

So my dad decided to get a kitten two weeks ago from an ad on Facebook. The previous owner said she was 8 weeks old. She was infested with fleas so we took her to a groomer and then a few days later she went to the vet for her first vaccines. She had been constipated the couple days before we took her but the vet said she looked fine and the dewormer might help with that. She was 1.2bs and she feels like skin and bones minus the slightly round tummy, but the vet didn’t comment on that minus saying she probably had worms.

Since the vet visit she’s been having very soft yellowish greenish stool which she runs all down her butt, legs, and tail. I hadn’t realized that that she’s supposed to have more solid poops until recently. She’s been very very lethargic lately and is constantly crying and today she developed a leaky right eye. It also sounds like she’s breathing too heavily to me.

She eats fine. She doesn’t drink from her bowl but we’ve been adding water to her wet food. I read today that boiled ground beef can help with diarrhea (I know that she needs more than just that in her diet). We’ve had to wash her butt twice a day for the past several days (warm water and baby soap if it’s really bad on her legs and tail). It’s pretty cold in the house and there are no other cats at my dad’s but he has an old dog who likes to lick her who had been living outside until recently.

I’d really appreciate some advice. How serious does this sound? She has another appointment coming up soon, but will she be okay to wait that long? Does it sound like she needs an emergency appointment? My dad has her in a box with rags down and was blow drying her. Is there anything more we can do at home?

JerseyJoan

Hi Reilley – the dewormer may be affecting her stool, so that may not be far out of the norm. You do want to make sure she doesn’t get dehydrated though. The weepy eye may be an underlying condition like feline herpes, for which l-lysine may help, or it could be the start of a URI, for which she will benefit from an antibiotic.
    Lethargy is not normal for a kitten. A trip to the vet would probably be a good idea.

Reilley
    Participant

Thanks for the reply JerseyJ. Do you think this is an emergency situation? We tent tested her and she appears to be okay with hydration. There’s an emergency vet with crazy prices not too far away that we could take her if she really needs it or I can call her regular vet tomorrow and see about the earliest offered appointment. It’s been almost two weeks since she’s been to the vet and gotten the dewormer and she got her FVRCP vaccine then too.

Kittyzee
    Participant

Hi Reilly, I would get some goat’s milk at the grocery. It is full of probiotics and will boost her immune system. You can find it in the refrigerated milk section or in the baking aisle in cans. The canned is condensed, so add water 1 to 1. This would be in addition to her regular food. I think I would call the regular vet and tell them what’s going on. The lethargy bothers me as it is not normal for a kitten to be lethargic. You could also have the vet test her for a one celled parasite that the regular wormer won’t kill. They would need to take a stool sample and test it. Just make sure she doesn’t get dehydrated. Good luck–keep us posted!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Reilly,

Perhaps you can call the vet instead of a visit tonight? If not, get her to a vet immediately on Monday. It’s been two weeks since her dewormer and vaccines so I don’t think that’s a major cause with her health. I agree with JJ that feline herpes is a big factor. It’s not life threatening but requires a bit more effort on your part.

I suggest you get Goats’ milk. The liquid is in the cold dairy section and the concentrate is in the baking aisle. If you use the concentrate mix 1:1 with water. It’s a go to for TDKers because it has a lot of nutrients, probiotics and won’t upset her tummy. It will keep her hydrated and regulate her stool. Some vets don’t agree with Goats’ milk preferring KMR. But powdered KMR gives them constipation and the liquid does the opposite. You can apply some vaseline or Aquifor ointment on her skin. If you only have Neosporin you apply that but it must not be “pain relief.” The pain relief meds. in Neosporin can kill her or her doggie friend.

Just to let you know, I’m concerned about the lack of concern by the vet.

Keep in touch and good luck!
    PG

Anonymous
    Inactive

Any news, Reilley?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.