10 day old: anal abscess help!!!

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 10 day old: anal abscess help!!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ToulouseViolette
    Participant

Ive been caring for 5 kittens that were abandoned in a box since they were 1 day old. I took them in as I’m a bottle feeder and am fostering other kittens and they were an emergent situation in a bad neighborhood at night with no food. They all have had constipation since I’ve had them. KMR and PetLac formula constipate them even with 4 parts water! I added a few drops of olive oil which started to help but late last night, I realized one of the strongest kittens had a swollen area next to his anus. This afternoon, it began to ooze a small amount of puss when I tried to stimulate him, the puss comes if I push on the abscess of course. I’m assuming he needs to see a vet to get it drained and antibiotics. I don’t have a rescue backing for these ones and not sure what to do at this point! I will take to the vet out of pocket if I must. Any ideas? Thanks!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Yes, the kitten needs to see the vet. I have drained many abscesses, and sometimes they don’t need antibiotics, but I can’t recommend that to you because it could cost the kitten it’s life. The abscess needs to be opened up, drained, and flushed with peroxide. Keep us posted as to what you do and how the kitten is doing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.