1 VERY shy and one very social kitten?

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 1 VERY shy and one very social kitten?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Veronica
    Participant

Hello all!

I’ve been reading the forum, and I really appreciate all of the advice here for new kitten owners. I have a question I haven’t seen before, so I hope you don’t mind me asking:

I just adopted two kittens. They are very close in age (12 weeks and 10 weeks) but not siblings. The older one (Ziggy) is really outgoing, loves to play, and purrs a lot. She’s not at all shy.

The other kitten, Mimi, is really really timid. She sometimes hisses at me when I enter the bathroom (where I am keeping her and Ziggy for a week) and usually goes into the corner. She lets me touch her, but she doesnt purr at all, and most of the time she stares at me with these huge eyes. Her ears go back at first but after a few pets, they relax. I have tried to reward her with treats for when I pet her, but she is shy to eat them. Also, she seems to have no interest in playing.

Is the problem that the more outgoing kitten is dominating her? They seem to play together well (without toys). Is Mimi bonding too much with the other cat instead of with me? Should I separate them?

We’ve had them for five days. Before that they were in a small shelter.

I’m worried that Mimi will never open up! How can I help her to be more playful like the older kitten?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Veronica,

Welcome to TDK land where all things are furry and feline.

Thanks for giving wee Mimi and wee Ziggy a loving, furever home. You never know what kind of purrsonality kits will have. Usually, when you have two kittahs one will be outgoing and the other will be shy. However, wee Mimi is only in her new home with new hoomins and new sibling for 5 days. It may take a few more days or a few more months for wee Mimi to come out of her shell. It’s possible Mimi will always be shy.

Because they have different purrsonalities, it would help to separate them and start over. Put each one in an separate area with their own litter box, scratching post, food and water bowls. Be sure to spend plenty of time with each kitty in her room. Since they already know each others’ smell, swap the blankets or beds so when the meet again their scent will still be familiar. Do this for a few days. I realize this may be inconvienent but it will help to bring peace at home.

I will bump this up and see what other advice TDKers can give you.
    PG

Kittyzee
    Participant

Veronica, I agree with PG that some kittens are shy, some are very outgoing. But since they have only been in your home for a short time, it’s hard to tell how they will eventually turn out. You just have to be very patient, with each of them. Like PG said, Mimi may always be a shy cat, but that doesn’t mean afraid–it’s just her personality, just like there are shy people and people who are very friendly and outgoing. If you are going to separate them, I would probably only do it where they can still see each other, and sniff each other. It takes a few weeks to months to get cats used to new situations. Remember they have left the only home they can remember to a new place, with a new sister. They will adjust fine, it just doesn’t happen in hours or days sometimes. Thanks for getting them at a shelter! 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.