1 Month Old Kitten – Next step?

Home The Daily Kitten Cat Chat Forum Cats & Kittens 1 Month Old Kitten – Next step?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello!
    I recently rescued a one day old kitten and today she’s officially a healthy one month old kitten. That in itself is amazing news but that leads me to the next step of raising her and all the questions that come with it.

So if you don’t mind, I have a couple questions and it would honestly be amazing if anybody can offer their two cents. Any advice is helpful!

How do I raise a 1 month old kitten?
    1) Do I mix her powered kitten milk with wet food or simply just feed her wet food?
    2) How many times a day do I now have to feed her?
    3) When do I teach her to start using the litter box?

I can’t think of any more questions right now, but again if you have any suggestions please do let me know! Thank you again in advance for helping.
    xx

Kittyzee
    Participant

Hi Pixie, congratulations on getting your child to the one month old mark! That in itself is quite an accomplishment! You can introduce her to the litter box now. I do it when they wake up (make sure you have a small enough box or tray with plain unscented litter that she can easily get in and out of on her own) and a little while after eating. You can even stimulate her and put her in it. Put some of her poops in there, she will figure it out quickly. You can also introduce wet food to her now also. If she doesn’t seem interested, then try again in a few days. In my older kittens, I have cut the end off the nipple and add a little wet food to the formula and it sticks with them a little longer.
    I don’t know if I worry about how many times a day to feed her, it depends on the individual kitten. By now you probably know when she is hungry but the sound of her cries. Things start happening quickly now, she will get in a routine of sleeping, using the litter box, eating, playing and sleeping again. Reinforce positively all the wonderful things she does and you won’t believe how fast she grows. When she starts chewing and biting, give her toys to bite not fingers and toes and eventually with patience, she will stop nibbling your skin! Hope this helps!
    Oh and the litter above should be the non clumping type for a while since kittens sometimes have a habit of thinking it’s food in the beginning and may try to eat it. Try to stay away from strong smelling litter (I bought some and it was so strong smelling, my kitten quit using the box) the plain clay unscented for a while if you can find it. Seriously, why do these companies make it smell so strong anyway?!

Kittyzee
    Participant

Also an afterthought: she is still to young to be weaned, so make sure she still gets her milk in addition to any food. It also keeps them hydrated and pooping good. If she should get constipated, goats milk is great and what I have been using and I found it in the baking aisle at Walmart. I also saw it in the fresh milk section too, but the baking aisle has canned. It’s great for their immune systems and digestion, just don’t use cow’s milk as most cats are lactose intolerant.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Kittyzee,
    Thank you so much for replying, everything you have listed down is really helpful and I will definitely try and slowly introduce her to it. I do feel quite accomplished getting her through her first month, especially since I assumed she was the rut of the litter and abandoned. So thank you for the compliments. 🙂

I agree, I do not understand why companies make some litter smelling so strongly. Do they not realise that cats pee/poop smell so potent already! Hahaha.

If you don’t mind me asking, when do you suggest giving her water as a replacement for milk? Do I at least try and introduce it to her now?

Kittyzee
    Participant

Yes now is fine. I have noticed that my cats don’t drink much water since they eat all wet food. They get the moisture they need from it I guess. When they ate dry, they drank more water, but I always keep it out for them. My kitten doesn’t seem interested in it, although he thinks it’s great fun to wham his paws in it and make a mess! He still gets his goats milk a couple of times a day, even though he is pretty close to being weaned. I need to try to put the milk in a saucer so he can learn to lap it up, because towards the end of weaning kittens tend to GRAB the bottle with both paws with claws out and I’m tired of being clawed, LOL!

It IS an accomplishment to get kittens to the 1 month mark, so many factors are against them. This site has been invaluable to me and I just try to pass along what I’ve learned along the way, maybe it can help someone else. Good job!

Kittyzee
    Participant

With your kitten only being 4 weeks, I wouldn’t try to replace the milk with water just yet. But you can put a bowl of water down and show it to her, by putting your finger in it, touching her lips and nose and directing her back to the bowl. Try with a saucer of milk first, it smells good to them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Success! I have introduced wet food and milk to my little kitten and she’s eating it up like there is no tomorrow. It’s quite cute, especially when she also whams her paws into the bowl and makes such a mess of herself.

I shall keep in mind testing out the water, for now I keep her on a once a day solid food diet and milk the rest of the feedings. I will probably try to change it up in about a week or so. But yes, now that I think about it my kitten also does tend to grab for the bottle. Thankfully I have not been painfully clawed! Hope you are alright though. Haha!

Thanks again for all the help, this site truly is a life saver. I found out a lot of facts I needed for her first few weeks here. 😀

Kittyzee
    Participant

Good job Pixie! Your kitten is on her way to being weaned! It doesn’t hurt to give her a bottle if she wants one now and then, but she will take what she wants from the wet food, and yes they do tend to make a mess at first! THEN, they just hate having dirty paws and will start grooming themselves which is something they eventually learn to do! You can give her wet food on a regular schedule, I do with my other cats and my kitten gets fed right along with them. What he doesn’t eat they finish off of course, but he/they get fed about 3 or 4 times a day since they are on a wet food only diet. I give him milk if he wants it maybe once or twice daily. He is pretty much weaned and doesn’t cry for food anymore. With being on a schedule, then they poop on a schedule too. He has his own litter box, but the other cats have decided to use it because, well, IT’S THERE! Have fun with your new baby and you can relax a bit now!

MadcatwomanintheUK
    Participant

Hi Pixie, what an amazing job you’ve done! Has the little kitten got a name yet? One of ours (Hamilton) was a hand rear from 7 days old, he was such a scrap of kitten we didn’t think he’d pull through, but he did, and he now weighs in at 6.1kgs – and he’s not fat, just BIG!

Hamilton had a little soft toy from when he came to us at 6 weeks old…like a beanie baby – it helps with such young kitten who don’t have littermates. He’s always adored it and still carries it around the house at bedtime, it’s so cute!

Melissa
    Participant

Awesome job getting to the 1 month point! When I got Alice she was pretty much weaned at 7 weeks but sometimes she would nurse on mom for comfort. When we brought her home we didn’t have any of the food that she had been eating we had blue buffalo(yes we spoil them) I added goats milk to the wet food and she was getting wet food 3-4 times a day. Now she’s 11 weeks and she only gets the wet food 2-3 times a day. We don’t give her goats milk everyday now but as a treat now. We free feed dry food right now for both of our cats and I have noticed that Alice drinks a lot of water even with all the wet food she eats. I actually find her water bowl empty every couple days. Every cat is different. And absolutely get a stuffed animal for her to play rough with your hands, arms, feet, toes, ect will appreciate it. Enjoy this time they grow up so fast and you’ll wish for the days when they just wanted to cuddle all the time lol

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for all the kind words you guys! I just spent a solid half and hour just taking pictures and videos of her running around. She’s so active and walks around like a queen. It’s adorable! We actually couldn’t decide what to name her (we had like three choices) and so in the end we decided to be punny and name her Snow Whitey. Hahahahaha.

I only feed her wet food once a day, in the late afternoon but she eats everything. The rest of the day she prefers milk, which I’m trying to make her drink out of a bowl but she still wants her bottle. That’s okay right? Since she’s still so young? She does clean herself already. She’s starting to play and run around as well. She’s VERY alert. And as she channels her inner tigress, she even attempts to challenge my dog when they play together!

I will probably start teaching her how to use the litter box this coming Monday, fingers crossed she’ll learn fast!

All your kittens/cats sound so adorable, it makes me just want to scoop them all up and give them a biggggg cuddle! Thanks for the stuffed animal advice, I’ll definitely look into my old toys to see if I can find anything for her. She seems to change everyday, it’s so sweet and sad all at the same time! :3

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.